• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma agassizii

nir_tza

5 Year Member
hi guys!
I have a pair of aggies in a 8.5g/31l bare bottom tank with sponge filter and they have laid eggs twice by now every two weeks approx. BUT the female ate them, is it normal and can you suggest somethimg?
the water are 100% r/o water with peat extract and a daily water change of approx. 25% (at least).
thank you!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Either remove the male after she has eggs or get a larger tank. He may be bothering her too much & she cannot keep him away in such a small tank.

You do not list you pH, but there are some forms of A. agassizii that require pH<6 for successful breeding (probably different species from the true A. agassizii).

nir_tza

5 Year Member
the pH is a bit high 7.2 but the water are very soft tds-10 ppm. and i think they are czech bred..
and i forgot to mention that they are very young and it was their first spawn..

Zapisto

5 Year Member
the pH is a bit high 7.2 but the water are very soft tds-10 ppm. and i think they are czech bred..
and i forgot to mention that they are very young and it was their first spawn..

i would say if they are young give them time and tries.
but 8.5 g is a bit small even if i already successfully breed some apisto in 10g
the bottom surface is more important than the volume (in my opinion).

i would say also 7.2 is a bit high , but for czech fish , can be possible at the PH.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….