• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cf. Agassizii (netz) eggs don’t hatch

Bramgroet

1-2 days and just one hatchery can mean 1-2 days of no food available in case you focus on the nauplii as food.
I don’t have any other food for the fry but I plan on getting a microworm culture starting soon.
You are aware that with a simple in-line-valve you can easily regulate this to a bearable volume?
do you mean this ?
2C3292B0-7F2D-45CB-A95D-CDDFB0EC093C.jpeg

1-2 days and just one hatchery can mean 1-2 days of no food available in case you focus on the nauplii as food.
Well that’s why I can start two cultures. At different time stages. I already have to air pumps only need to make another plastic bottle.

Bramgroet

For now I can start feeding Artemia tomorrow. They are not hatched now. So it will be late but I do have a lot of decaying leaf litter so they are feeding there a lot. And I like to watch the behavior. When the female is away chasing a fish away the fry are lying still in the leaf litter and when she comes back after a few second they all start swimming again. They are still alive after 2 days so they do have some food. But I will give Artemia soon. If they hatch can you just harvest all and store them in a little container? Or should I keep the plastic bottle on air. Or give it all in once?

MacZ

do you mean this ?
Nope
This to split the air line.
And this to regulate air flow.

Or both in one:

I use one of these hatcheries. But that's just my own preference.
(I just realized the price has gone up massively. I got that thing for about 15 bucks.)

The air pump I use is a second hand model made in the GDR over 30 years ago.

Bramgroet

The air pump I use is a second hand model made in the GDR over 30 years ago.
I have two air pumps one of 10 bucks and another one I traded for some ancistrus.
I use one of these hatcheries. But that's just my own preference.
I have a diy one like this
7F8B958B-6EF0-4A34-A2B3-A95F4A925CC9.jpeg

And this to regulate air flow.
So if you let less air in it gets less noisy I can also make a cover to save heat and to reduce the heat. Also I don’t get the red color in my hatchery I think this is because i should add more but this is just the third time I hatch Artemia so it’s good to learn and adjust it on experience.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
  1. I'm a big fan of the hatchery dish, which is simple, quiet, and doesn't require an air pump.
  2. My room is around 20C, and I harvest between 24 and 30 hours.
  3. Artemia nauplii are only nutritious when their egg sacs are intact. The longer they live at room temp, the more they will deplete their egg sacs. However, they are still useful after a couple days of refrigeration, given that they have enough oxygen. On hatch day, I feed one portion immediately and then store 2 aliquots in petri dishes at 4C for the next two days. I hatch every 3 days.
Cheers

Eddy. E.

A fairly simple way to chill water down is to use a small, second-hand refrigerator.
To do this, drill a suitable hole on each side and pass the hose through it. Inside you put several loops until the water reaches the necessary temperature, which you can measure at the other end, outside.
By the way, this method is also ideal for fish keepers who have a domestic temperature problem in the summer, without permanently adding ice to the water ;-)

grafik.png

Bramgroet

aliquots in Petri dishes
1C852107-118D-4F83-A414-A2352F5EEDEB.jpeg

You mean these ? How do you get them of these things then ?

I'm a big fan of the hatchery dish, which is simple, quiet, and doesn't require an air pump.
Yes i saw one in the lfs but I ordered the in line valve to regulate and split the air. It was just €4 it should come today or tomorrow. So I will take a look at much it reduces the noise. I can also make cover to reduce the noise. Also with the air splitter I can culture two Artemia Hatchery's at the same time. So I will never run out of Artemia.

MacZ

A fairly simple way to chill water down is to use a small, second-hand refrigerator.
To do this, drill a suitable hole on each side and pass the hose through it. Inside you put several loops until the water reaches the necessary temperature, which you can measure at the other end, outside.
By the way, this method is also ideal for fish keepers who have a domestic temperature problem in the summer, without permanently adding ice to the water ;-)
You lost me. o_O

Mazan

I don't. I usually feed them directly from the hatchery for 24-48 hours, although I know they lose some of their nutritional value. Since I don't have fry to raise it's more of an enrichment thing.

Same here, I use them for a few days, meanwhile some more are getting ready to hatch in the second bottle. I even do this when rearing fry, not only for enrichment. To be honest I am skeptical that only newly hatched ones have nutritional value, they might be best, but after all they have absorbed the nutrients that were in the yolk sac so they should be there in their bodies albeit in a different form? I don't know, but anyway I have not had a problem using them for a few days.

Last edited:

Bramgroet

Like the hatching vessel, it does not need to be sterile.
They are just in my 55 gallon tank right now. The female and male takes good care of them. But I don’t know if I want to keep this generation since I wasn’t really ready for this. But almost everyone still lives after 3 days so there must be a lot of infusoria. If a few survive that’s good. But I think some will die off since the Artemia still didn’t hatch. But tomorrow I will get some stuff which means I can set up another Hatcher and keep it in my room where it is a bit warmer. And I can run two at different hatch stages. So the ones who still live in the next one or two days will probably make it.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
You’ll probably see a few survive. I know all apistos are supposed to be able to take BBS as soon as they’re free swimming, but mine didn’t until about 3 days later anyway. If you have microworms around next time they definitely take that right away.

Bramgroet

If you have microworms around next time they definitely take that right away.
Will work on it.

My parents won’t allow a 60cm aquarium. But maybe a 50 x 40 x 40 cm but they rather have a 40 x 40 x 40 cm. But I think this will not be big enough to raise about 10-15 fry each time. So that’s a bummer. Or is this big enough.

Mazan

Will work on it.

My parents won’t allow a 60cm aquarium. But maybe a 50 x 40 x 40 cm but they rather have a 40 x 40 x 40 cm. But I think this will not be big enough to raise about 10-15 fry each time. So that’s a bummer. Or is this big enough.
I think it would probably be enough just for that small number of fry. I have raised 20 Laetacara fry in a tank that measures 50 x 30 x 30 cm.

hongyj

Well I live in a big enough house but I am just 14 so everything I do in the hobby like adding a new tank I need to discus with my parents. Also a 14 year old does not have the most money. But I try and make the best out of it. I found when you use low quality stuff it does not pay off. For my it’s just hard to run with one tank cause if I make a mistake with buying a fish I can not put it in another tank. I just have one tank at the momment which is 100 cm 40 cm 50 cm lxbxh. And the only tank I now can get is a 60 cm but everything is expensive for a 14 year old. But I am don’t want to stop. I just really struggle with one tank cause I still have some fish from long ago and I cannot put them in another tank or something like that even when it is better. I have brought some fish back to the lfs but I don’t want to keep doing that so I am being really aware of what I buy I cannot just see I cool pair of apistogramma and take them home with me.
yooo im a 17 year old breeding apistogramma cactuiodes right now. Let me know if you need some help. My discord is YJN#5597. I've bred different fish before so I'm using this experience to breed apistos

Bramgroet

yooo im a 17 year old breeding apistogramma cactuiodes right now. Let me know if you need some help. My discord is YJN#5597. I've bred different fish before so I'm using this experience to breed apistos
Thanks thats nice i will add you where you from?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….