• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mendezi

anewbie

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Messages
2,915
I do not - i read they were vicious monsters and not the best option for a shared aquarium.
 

Mike Wise

Moderator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Messages
11,973
Location
Denver, Colorado, U.S.A.
... but not as bad as A. paucisquamis (the Chihuahuas of the apisto world:D). Seriously, it depends on the size of the tank, how it is decorated and if it is a single specimen or possibly a breeding group.
 

KeithK

New Member
5 Year Member
Messages
4
... but not as bad as A. paucisquamis (the Chihuahuas of the apisto world:D). Seriously, it depends on the size of the tank, how it is decorated and if it is a single specimen or possibly a breeding group.
It is a 170gal system with a lot of bottom space. Deeper than it is high. Pic was taken right after cycle. Tannins are now coming along nicely.
20260914_172521.jpg
 

KenL

Active Member
5 Year Member
Messages
353
Are all mendezi that bad, or is it the odd individual?

Could you not keep a single pair in that tank?
 

dw1305

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Messages
3,030
Location
Wiltshire UK
Hi all,
Much too open IMHO....
Pic was taken right after cycle.
Honestly listen to Mike, he is "Wise by name and wise by nature".

I'll nail my colours to the mast and tell you that "cycled" isn't a very useful concept generally and even less useful for sensitive soft water fish. Read the links in -
<"https://apistogramma.com/forum/threads/setting-up-a-low-tds-aquarium.30322/#post-139818"> it links to research by scientists working on nitrification in aquariums.

Again a disclaimer that I'm not an entirely objective commentator, but have a look through - <"https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/what-is-the-“duckweed-index”-all-about.73647/">.

Plants have a multitude of benefits for the aquarium, one being that they block line of sight.

Cheers Darrel
 

anewbie

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Messages
2,915
Hi all,


Honestly listen to Mike, he is "Wise by name and wise by nature".

I'll nail my colours to the mast and tell you that "cycled" isn't a very useful concept generally and even less useful for sensitive soft water fish. Read the links in -
<"https://apistogramma.com/forum/threads/setting-up-a-low-tds-aquarium.30322/#post-139818"> it links to research by scientists working on nitrification in aquariums.

Again a disclaimer that I'm not an entirely objective commentator, but have a look through - <"https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/what-is-the-“duckweed-index”-all-about.73647/">.

Plants have a multitude of benefits for the aquarium, one being that they block line of sight.

Cheers Darrel
Yea but they also block the view and that was a year+ so it is 10x worse :(


lineta_feb_2025_back.jpg
 

dw1305

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Messages
3,030
Location
Wiltshire UK
Hi all,
Yea but they also block the view and that was a year+ so it is 10x worse :(
Ideal, wanting to see your fish is so overrated.

If I didn't like plants? I'd keep Hypancistrus sp. in tank with hundreds of caves and no light*.

*This may not be true

Cheers Darrel
 
Last edited:

KeithK

New Member
5 Year Member
Messages
4
Hi all,


Honestly listen to Mike, he is "Wise by name and wise by nature".

I'll nail my colours to the mast and tell you that "cycled" isn't a very useful concept generally and even less useful for sensitive soft water fish. Read the links in -
<"https://apistogramma.com/forum/threads/setting-up-a-low-tds-aquarium.30322/#post-139818"> it links to research by scientists working on nitrification in aquariums.

Again a disclaimer that I'm not an entirely objective commentator, but have a look through - <"https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/what-is-the-“duckweed-index”-all-about.73647/">.

Plants have a multitude of benefits for the aquarium, one being that they block line of sight.

Cheers Darrel
Thank u for being concerned about the fish. I don't buy first to kill them. Been doing this for forty years now. Know a thing or two about it. All I wanted to know was how the fish would behave in a multi species environment. Trying to create a biotope from the northern tributaries of the rio negro and through my research i have found that there isn't really a lot of plants. Most of what I have observed of these fish, they prefer leaf litter on the bottom or heavily rooted banks.
 

dw1305

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Messages
3,030
Location
Wiltshire UK
Hi all,
!Thank u for being concerned about the fish. I don't buy first to kill them. Been doing this for forty years now.
I understand this. I'm not very good with fish, so I need all the help I can get.

If you have fish that require very high water quality, plant / microbe bio filtration is much more effective at this
... Trying to create a biotope from the northern tributaries of the rio negro and through my research i have found that there isn't really a lot of plants. Most of what I have observed of these fish, they prefer leaf litter on the bottom or heavily rooted banks.
That is sort of the point, the trees in the flooded forest are as much aquatic plants as any emergent plant we would have in the UK.

Where any light reaches the water's surface? Plants will grow -
<"https://apistogramma.com/forum/threads/ro-water-is-remineralizer-required.25494/#post-126014">.

Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) is biotope appropriate.

Cheers Darrel
 
Last edited:

dw1305

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Messages
3,030
Location
Wiltshire UK
Hi all,
Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) is biotope appropriate.
@KeithK PC, rather than a phone. I can see your floatng plant and I'd let your Salvinia cover 3/4 of the water's surface.

It doesn't really matter what your floating plant is, I like Pistia stratiotes and Limnobium laevigatum mainly for their roots.

I have all three, but I use Amazon Frogbit for the <"Duckweed Index">. In terms of more structural leaf litter have a look at <"Ripe for Picking: a Guide to Collecting your own Bountiful Botanicals">.

If you are in the UK Magnolia grandiflora (Evergreen Magnolia) leaves are really good.

cheers Darrel
 

Mike Wise

Moderator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Messages
11,973
Location
Denver, Colorado, U.S.A.
Are all mendezi that bad, or is it the odd individual?

Could you not keep a single pair in that tank?
These fish are not bad, but they are territorial, especially when breeding. Do apisto breed in the wild with other species around? Of course they do - and many of these species are fry predators. The reason for successful breeding in the wild is due to water volume. Unless you have an aquarium the size of a swimming pool then you cannot recreate a true natural habitat. As people know here on the forum my mantra is 'a community tank is not a breeding tank'. If you want to breed A. mendezi then set up a tank specifically for breeding. In a tank of your size you could have multiple breeding pairs if the tank is properly laid out and -suitable (mostly non-schooling surface-dwelling) species are used for community members. This leaves out most of the popular tetras from the Rio Negro. In the wild the bottom of streams where most apisto live are covered by at least a 6"/15cm thick layer of leaf litter (been there and stepped in it). This is where apistos hide and breed. If you are willing to set up such a tank it will work. With anything less you will find stress, caused by female apistos aggressively protecting their fry and fry predators stressing out female apistos trying to defend their fry from multitudes of fry predators. Stress kills.
 

KeithK

New Member
5 Year Member
Messages
4
Have no desire to breed fish, been there done that. Just looking for something I can sit and stare at for hours.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
18,792
Messages
125,176
Members
13,675
Latest member
Phap

Latest profile posts

Re-designing and starting a new fish room all over again. This time we'll have many more Apistsogramma species. We are expanding.
dimandobson wrote on Arnold's profile.
hi
dimandobson wrote on Ben Bergman's profile.
Hi Bergman. I have a pair of breeding dwarf cichlid for sale. if you are still looking, drop me your whatsapp number and i will send some videos to your whatsapp
martin_c wrote on illumnae's profile.
Hi,

just in case you happen to live in Germany (or Netherlands): I have a wildcaught female A. psammophila, you could have it for free. I have no use for it anymore.

BR
Martin
Top