• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma agassizii biotope

dw1305

5 Year Member

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The Rio Negro has at least 2 different faunal realms. The older, the upper Negro (above the Rio Branco), has different fauna than the lower Negro, which is influenced the Amazonian species.

Joni_99

Hello,
I will change the bottom of the tank into sand in April. I want to create a creek in the rain forest near Manaus. I want to stock the aquarium with my two agassizii and 15-20 Paracheirodon axelrodi. On the bottom of the tank i´m going to put many oak leaves and on the right side I want to put some roots. The Amanos and the poecilia wingei I add to my 30 liters tank. Only for the ancistrus I hadn´t found a new home yet. Plants will be Lemna minor, Hydrocotyle leucecophola and maybe Egeria najas. This is my plan.
Cheers Jonathan

PS: Sorry for my bad 9th grade English :)

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I will change the bottom of the tank into sand in April. I want to create a creek in the rain forest near Manaus. I want to stock the aquarium with my two agassizii and 15-20 Paracheirodon axelrodi. On the bottom of the tank i´m going to put many oak leaves and on the right side I want to put some roots. The Amanos and the poecilia wingei I add to my 30 liters tank. Only for the ancistrus I hadn´t found a new home yet. Plants will be Lemna minor, Hydrocotyle leucecophola and maybe Egeria najas. This is my plan.
Sounds good, I think the Paracheirodon will eat any Apistogramma fry, and I'm not sure that Egeria najas will enjoy soft water. You could swap it for Cabomba caroliniana, that does well in warm soft water.

cheers Darrel

Joni_99

So I have put my plants, fish and furnishings into a 20 liter bucket. Then I emptied the aquarium and the gravel away. Next, I added the sand, the decoration, the plants and the technology. Then I filled the water. After that I added the fish.

andris

What submersed would you use to mirror upper rio negro forest brook conditions. I was thinking about Myriophyllum sp which Mike Tuccinardi used in his biotope tank or egeria najas. Did you see these plants in upper rio negro or any other submersed plants?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most iguarapés in the upper Negro have a few bog plants and submerged terrestrial grasses but mostly covered with leaf litter; a+lmost no aquatic plants (other than algae). If I were trying to make a biotope aquarium I'd forget about aquatic plants. Otherwise just use what you like - and are adaptable to your water values.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….