• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto's sleeping hours

edwliang

5 Year Member
i would like to know how many hours of sleep (darkness) do we provide apisto are best for them? my tanks are in the dinning room, most of the time there is light get into the tanks. hours of complete darkness are 6-7 hours. is it not sufficient sleep?

1 (1).jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't know if there has been any kind of study on sleep patterns. The tropics, where apistos live, gets about 12 hours of day and 12 hours of night year around. Since most apistos live in jungle covered streams where moonlight is insignificant, I guess they tend to rest for 12 hours at night.

edwliang

5 Year Member
I don't know if there has been any kind of study on sleep patterns. The tropics, where apistos live, gets about 12 hours of day and 12 hours of night year around. Since most apistos live in jungle covered streams where moonlight is insignificant, I guess they tend to rest for 12 hours at night.
i guess my fish only gets 6 hours of sleep/.. i dont know if there is any effect on not enough sleep.

gerald

5 Year Member
It's difficult to assess sleep-deprivation stress on species that have dark marks under their eyes anyway.
|:>) (sorry, couldn't resist).

In commercial aquaculture lights are sometimes left on 24 hrs so that young fish will eat more and grow faster, but I don't think there's much if any study on long-term health effects. Maybe some info in the professional zoo & aquarium literature? My guess (and it's just a guess) is that continuous lighting could mess up hormone cycles and breeding in some fish. If your fish are living long lives (3+ yrs for Apistos) and breeding successfully with only 6 hrs of darkness, then I guess 6 hrs is sufficient. Let us know if you find any useful info.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
When I took a quick look at the photo I, too, thought it was A. trifasciata, but it's not. This is edwliang's photo. It probably is the same fish in his profile photo, which is a Brazilian form of A. bitaeniata.

edwliang

5 Year Member
When I took a quick look at the photo I, too, thought it was A. trifasciata, but it's not. This is edwliang's photo. It probably is the same fish in his profile photo, which is a Brazilian form of A. bitaeniata.
yes, sometimes the color on the fins varies, maybe because of the light, the angle, fish's mood or camara's setting when taking the photo. but it is the same fish from the profile. here comes some other pics taken the other day. BTW, i like Mike Wise to share about some behaviors of apisto, which i really dont understand what they are doing.
q.JPG
qq.JPG
qqq.JPG

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Several books cover apisto behavior quite well. Koslowski's 2002 book is the best IMHO. It is based on videos taken over hours for many months - without anyone being by the aquarium to disturb the fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….