• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Agassizii ?

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hi,

I did pick this up at my LFS, Just as Agassizii, that is ok, but any idea which type ?

IMG_04981.jpg

thanks in advance
cheers jk :wink:

Bilbo

5 Year Member
I cant answer your question but it looks like the ones we got here a few months ago. Lovely fish.

The info on this page was done by Mike Wise and may be helpful.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Do you know if this is a wildcaught fish? The caudal fin looks like that of a Red A. agassizii that is found in parts of Peru, but the color is not as red as found on wild fish (maybe due to food it eats in the aquarium).

Tom C

5 Year Member
Reminds me of the fish we collected upstreams from Leticia in 2008, remember Mike?

Red was obviously a popular color here.
Besides this wonderful A. cacatuoides, with red in the dorsal and caudal:

resizeimage.aspx

we collected this A. agassizii:

resizeimage.aspx

And amazingly, the butterflies in the area had the same color as the fish's tail :)

resizeimage.aspx

(And in just a couple of days, Mark and I will be collecting wild Apistos in the Amazon again!)

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hi Tom and Mike,

Well I do not know if this is a wild csught species, I will have to ask my LFS next time. I do however feed predominatly brine shrimp and mosquito larvae.
I have them in a seperate tank so a pair and some mountain clouds as disthers. Will let you know next time for the LFS..cheers JK
PS I must say the colour is just stunning, red and blue

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
If it helps, I got two pair of apistos that appear almost exactly as yours, sold to me as A. agassizi "double red" from Wetspot (cichlid exchange) in November of 2009. I don't think they are a double red, almost a "double yellow", if you will. No indication as to whether they are wild or not, so I would suspect that they were not sold as wild. Hopefully these pics will help identify yours and/or mine.

Male showing off
P7300039-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Female before coloring up
PC080002.jpg

Female after coloring up (eggs present)
P7300036.jpg

P7300034.jpg

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello All,

Firstly Tom, good luck you lucky one for your next trip, enjoy and please send us as usual photos of your trip and findings. These fish were never sold as wild, they did come from Aquarium Glaser,so it must be some domestic strain i presume and as apisto god mike stated a form of Red. so thanks all for this. cheer jk :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….