• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

looking for rare apistos

Nick123

Hi everyone, I am currently looking to get a pair of rarer/uncommon apistos. I've looked online a ton but can't seem to find any that really strike my fancy. some of the ones I'm looking into are Apistogramma Elizabethae, Apistogramma Mendezi, Apistogramma kullanderi, Apistogramma Alto Tapiche, and Apistogramma Abacaxis. I'm making this post to see if anyone has and is looking to sell or knows of anyone or any stores who have. I am also totally open to suggestions as to other types of apistos to look into. thanks for your guy's help!

Edit: I realize I forgot to put where I am located. I am in New York, U.S. about an hour away from NYC

Last edited:

Nick123

You should add your location or at least your country to your post....
Ah right, that would help, sorry I'm a bit new to this forum type of thing. I am in the U.S., more specifically New York, about an hour outside of NYC.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Ask on the "Apistogamma & Dwarf Cichlid Buy/Sell/Trade" group on BAND. The altos, abacaxis, and elizabethae are available for sure. I haven't seen the mendezi anywhere for a little while, and the kullanderi always sell out right away when someone has them. Jeff at Aquatic Clarity usually has a lot of apistos, but I don't see the ones you're asking about on his current stock list. Worth checking his list often.

Nick123

Ask on the "Apistogamma & Dwarf Cichlid Buy/Sell/Trade" group on BAND. The altos, abacaxis, and elizabethae are available for sure. I haven't seen the mendezi anywhere for a little while, and the kullanderi always sell out right away when someone has them. Jeff at Aquatic Clarity usually has a lot of apistos, but I don't see the ones you're asking about on his current stock list. Worth checking his list often.
thank you. I'm not quite sure what BAND is as I just started looking at this forum. Also, I have been in contact with Jeff from aquatic clarity but I will for sure keep checking his website. If you could tell me what BAND is I would really appreciate that. thanks for the Info!

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
It's an app. A group of breeders and sellers formed a group there, because Facebook doesn't allow posts about animal sales. The community is run by a user here @Bowluvr, and there are lots of reputable sellers. I got my Alto Tapiche (in my avatar) from one of them. https://band.us/en

anewbie

I've seen wetspot and aquaticclarity with them from time to time but they are both out of stock. wetspot has an 'email me when available' option; with aquaticclarity you can request them and he will see if he can get them the next time he order fishes (one man operation). The link for band is:

You can also try ebay and aquabid - with these sites you need to check the seller carefully (and that includes band).

Nick123

I've seen wetspot and aquaticclarity with them from time to time but they are both out of stock. wetspot has an 'email me when available' option; with aquaticclarity you can request them and he will see if he can get them the next time he order fishes (one man operation). The link for band is:

You can also try ebay and aquabid - with these sites you need to check the seller carefully (and that includes band).
yeah, I have been looking on wetspot and been in contact with Jeff from aquaticclarity. I'll just have to keep looking!

anewbie

JD Aquatics just got mendezi in. He has several of the other species you’re looking for, too. He’s on that BAND group.
You can also find his listing here - though i think it is out of date - but it has his contact info which works:

Bowluvr

Hi everyone, I am currently looking to get a pair of rarer/uncommon apistos. I've looked online a ton but can't seem to find any that really strike my fancy. some of the ones I'm looking into are Apistogramma Elizabethae, Apistogramma Mendezi, Apistogramma kullanderi, Apistogramma Alto Tapiche, and Apistogramma Abacaxis. I'm making this post to see if anyone has and is looking to sell or knows of anyone or any stores who have. I am also totally open to suggestions as to other types of apistos to look into. thanks for your guy's help!

Edit: I realize I forgot to put where I am located. I am in New York, U.S. about an hour away from NYC
Download the Band app and join the group: Apistogramma & Dwarf Cichlid Buy/Sell/Trade. You'll know it by the pair of domestic red cacatuoides in the group's photo. There are a few sellers that either have, or are considering getting, many of those species. Just be sure to read and follow the rules for posting and scroll down through some of the posts to get a feel for what the most recent offerings and discussion are before making your first post.

Bowluvr

Download the Band app and join the group: Apistogramma & Dwarf Cichlid Buy/Sell/Trade. You'll know it by the pair of domestic red cacatuoides in the group's photo. There are a few sellers that either have, or are considering getting, many of those species. Just be sure to read and follow the rules for posting and scroll down through some of the posts to get a feel for what the most recent offerings and discussion are before making your first post.
(Unlike Facebook, you won't be spammed with ads in Band. Otherwise, it is similar to FB as far as how one uses it.)

anewbie

jdaquatics posted today that they received a shipment of elizabeth. I think they are in qt but you could email him when they will be available for sale. The bad part is they are likely asian bred if that matters to you.

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
I echo sentiments for Wet Spot. They do a great job attempting to sex even the small ones.

You might also keep an eye on Imperial Tropicals. I know for a fact that they are actively breeding and raising the following, with some being available for purchase now and some only just starting a few months ago, so the fry won't be ready for a few more months:

Alto Tapiche (ready in a few months)
Pacman/D 12 (ready now)
cf. alacrina/D 18 (ready soon, maybe now) - some call these pseudo-kullanderi as they are large and have a similar shape
cf. payaminonis/D 3 (ready now)
Melgar (ready now)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….