• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Melgar (20 long update)

derekw

Just got back from LFS and picked up a new fish. I rescaped the tank to have a good cave for him, it can be seen under the java fern. Current stocking is 9 serpaes and the one apisto, aswell as one panda cory that has to go back to LFS at some point. I will post a photo of the apisto once he settles in so that i can get a positive ID.

Attachments

• scape 2.jpg
    scape 2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 185
  • scpae1.jpg
    scpae1.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 215
  • melgar.jpg
    melgar.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 204

MacZ

May I ask how many Apistos you have gone through the past months and what happened to all of them?

derekw

Thought Id post an update the apisto is doing great for only being in the tank 22 hours. Since adding the Java fern mats the serpaes have been laying eggs in them like crazy, constantly sparing as well. The apisto is munching on the eggs and the serpaes don't mess with him while hes doing it. The apisto displays a banded coloration while eating the eggs i'm guessing that signals to the tetras that he doesn't want to be messed with.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
As far as i can see it’s a pretty fish. -but i’m sure the ID wise board members would need to see pictures, showing the spots clearly and ind different moods.

anyway, good luck with it.
Edit: the picture in your first post is rather dark and i can’t see the other ones you posted.

-r

derekw

some more photos of the fish. He has some red in his tail as well as on the chest, and a three spotted pattern

Attachments

• 271166368_638796354125087_6284379623021513196_n.jpg
    271166368_638796354125087_6284379623021513196_n.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 137
  • apistoflared.jpg
    apistoflared.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 125

derekw

Your fish certainly looks like a cruzi-subcomplex species to me. Whether it's A. sp. Nanay (aka A. sp. Melgar) I can't tell for sure from the photos/video. Look out for your fish showing yellowish pectoral fins and a red/orange ring around the eye at times, like this one.
agreed it looks to be a cruzi, thanks for the info

derekw

Update on the 20 long - All of the fish are doing well, I'm thinking of adding more but would like to here others opinions as the tank is already heavily stocked. Id like to add some rainbowfish Gertrudea. The current fish in the aquarium all stay relatively low in the tank so Id like to have some action at the top of the tank.
The apistogramma will not eat any of my staple foods (pellets, flakes) he only eats frozen bloodworms. He does graze from the sandbed however, but I'm looking for feeding suggestions aswell.

Attachments

• apistogramma.jpg
    apistogramma.jpg
    526.1 KB · Views: 108
  • aquarium.jpg
    aquarium.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 97

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
They love bloodworms, but I would't feed those those more than a couple times a week. My apistos also haven't preferred dry foods, so I just keep a rotation of frozen foods (bloodworms, enriched brine shrimp, mysis, daphnia). Of the dry foods, I've been able to get mine to take Bug Bites and Hikari micro pellets, but it took a while to get them to that point. And of course live foods, BBS and will add grindal worms soon.

ARK93

Id like to add some rainbowfish Gertrudea.
I once kept some Pseudomugil gertrudae with my A. macmasteri for a while. I had intended to move them into their own tank eventually. They are stunning little fish and the sparring males are spectacular. They spend most of their time near the surface so proved to be good dither fish for Apistos if you don't mind the fact that they're from totally different parts of the world. I'd also look at Pseudomugil luminatus, they're another stunning little blue eye which reach a similar size and show similar behaviour, they've been turning up in a few aquatics stores in the UK recently.

The apistogramma will not eat any of my staple foods (pellets, flakes) he only eats frozen bloodworms. He does graze from the sandbed however, but I'm looking for feeding suggestions aswell.
This is fairly normal for Apistos, they're predatory by nature so live or frozen food is always more likely to be accepted and is almost definitely better for them. Even when working in a store I fed our Apistos about 70 % frozen food.

I've read in lots of places that excessive bloodworm can be bad for Apistos so I used to feed primarily Brine Shrimp, Daphnia and Mosquito Larvae.

MacZ

I've read in lots of places that excessive bloodworm
Here on the forum for example. I have had losses due to bloodworms so I would not feed them as a staple. More like a sunday roast. My fish don't get them at all.

derekw

update on my apistogramma sp nanay, he has started eating a deit of fluval bug bites salmon pellets. I just drop them into the sand and he eats them out of the sand by picking up the food and sand, then releasing sand from his gills. He seemed to be very weary and cautious of the serpae tetras when i first added him and he was always hiding, now he is comfortable in the aquarium and comes to the front to ask for food every morning.

derekw

Hey everyone, its been a long time since I've posted an update. I've still got my apistogramma sp. Nanay (melgar), he is doing well at this time. I believe he had caught a case of hexamita ( hole in the head), and unfortunately due to my location, (Canada) I was unable to purchase medication for him. The brown spot on his head has gone away and he is now very active and no longer shy. (except for of the camera). He comes to the front of the tank and lets me know when he wants his meal, and is eating well. I've still got 9 red minor tetras in the tank aswell as 1 panda Cory.
As far as the scape goes, Id say its almost complete. I plan to add some botanicals and IAL's and some twigs to the empty sections of sand. My bad I couldn't get a better photo of the fish but as I mentioned he is camera shy. Besides water changes if anyone has any advice on preventing parasites let me know. Thanks - Derek

-

Attachments

• GOPR0995.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 78
  • GOPR0989.JPG
    GOPR0989.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 78

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….