• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is a 5 gallon tank too small for a pair of borelli

anewbie

I have a pair of young borelli in my 40 gallon and I'm a bit unsure how large they actually reach as adult. My reading is around 2 1/2 inches. I was thinking they might actually fit in a 5 gallon tank comfortably. Is this the case or is that a bit too small. This is my 5 gallon:

yqq.jpg

Right now it just has a couple of ember tetra and a pile of shrimp. I suppose the borelli might nibble at the shrimp but they have a lot of hiding places.

MacZ

You are really pushing limits. Even for A. borellii only about 20 liters is a bit too small. What's the footprint? 50x20cm?

anewbie

40cm x 20cm; but that is an older picture and there is more hardscape. I guess I'm unsure of the borelli aggression level; or is your concern that it just doesn't provide enough swimming room ?

Also if it is too small is there a smaller apisto that is fairly passive among pairs ?

MacZ

In a 60x30 I would say no problem. For breeding purposes with the pair being together only for spawning and being separated to different tanks after spawning, also ok. For longterm keeping, even with such docile Apistos as A. borellii... rather not.

mwoodrn74

I keep a pair in a 29 gallon but when I had two pair in a 90 gallon they fought. Even the males and females get a bit aggressive together. Tiny fish with BIG attitudes. I lost one male I named Napoleon (small but thought he could conquer everything). I wouldn't put a pair in anything less than a 20 gallon, and it would need nots of plants and caves. I'm still a novice though. I am raising the babies that i got from Napoleon and Josephine still. I didn't even know I had babies till they came out nearly half way grown. I gave them REALLY good hiding spots apparently.

anewbie

Ok thanks. Is a 5 gallon big enough for a single male borelli or does the fish require more swimming room. I also presume if i put a male in there i should say good bye to my shrimp colony.

anewbie

The only apisto species that I can think might work is A. wapisana (Balzfleck). This species is small (neon tetra size), relatively peaceful ... and rather ughly I admit.
I would be open to A. wapisana if it were a clear water species (ph 7 kh 3); and was readily available but i suspect it is not a fish that can be easily obtained. Are there other small cichlid that are suitable for my environment. I can't provide blackwater at this time.

MacZ

Ok thanks. Is a 5 gallon big enough for a single male borelli or does the fish require more swimming room. I also presume if i put a male in there i should say good bye to my shrimp colony.

See... when Mike and I and the others repeat over and over again a male Apisto (that includes A. borellii) needs a 60cm diameter territory you might deduct from that less room will be too small. You might also want to try to think of tank sizes more by dimensions and less by volume.
Honestly, I find it actually a bit disturbing how small you are trying to go here.

And at least the smaller shrimp will be gone, yes.

Are there other small cichlid that are suitable for my environment.
Pass, sorry.

anewbie

See... when Mike and I and the others repeat over and over again a male Apisto (that includes A. borellii) needs a 60cm diameter territory you might deduct from that less room will be too small. You might also want to try to think of tank sizes more by dimensions and less by volume.
Honestly, I find it actually a bit disturbing how small you are trying to go here.

And at least the smaller shrimp will be gone, yes.

Pass, sorry.
Hey sorry I thought you were saying it was too small for a pair due to female/male aggression. I wasn't sure if the confinement was inadequate for a 2.5 inch fish. Sorry for misunderstanding your statement.
-
As for size of tank - well i'm not setting the tank up for apistogramma; it just happens to be the only tank i have with open space and trying to decide what to do with it. I suppose most people would put a betta in it but i've never been a fan of betta and i do like the character of many of the cichlid i've had regardless of actual decoration on the fish though that helps.

MacZ

I would actually put sparkling gourami or scarlett badis in it. Maybe that would be interesting for you.

Edit: Which would only work sans the tetras, as it would definitely be overstocked with them.

Last edited:

anewbie

I could obtain 4 or 5 sparlking gourami fairly cheaply; and might eventually but had 2 concerns; first i was under the impression they were a bit active and would prefer a larger tank and second I want to see if a suitable cichlid can be found before going that route. My understanding is that the scarlett badis require hard water and i have no desire to make the water harder than what flows out of tap (kh 3 gh 7).

anewbie

To be honest, usually I advice against keeping fish in anything less than 60x30 and 10 gallons. And no, there is no really suitable cichlid for this tank.

Bookmark seriouslyfish, they are one of the best sites for actually useful info. And then read. I still can spend hours there.
Yea I look at seriouslyfish for a lot of stuff and they have empty profile for some fishes i'm interested in; but thank you for noting my sources for information on badis dario were incorrect and they can tolerate extremely soft water so i guess they are an option. Hum. 1 male and 1 or 2 females sounds like the recommendation. Naturally they will lay waste to the shrimps.

Rycraft

I agree with MacZ, nothing less than 10 gallons for fish. Anything smaller should just be shrimps and/or smaller snails (nerite/clothing, maybe one mystery if there's plenty for it to munch on).

anewbie

Too late already have 10 mystery snails in the tank; though every now and then i put one in the 120 where they can have fun playing with the loaches.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….