• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ram sexing

denza025

Hey guys. I've been looking around other threads about ram sexing and I am confused. So I decided to register and make a new thread.
I bought two rams today and I was told they are male and female. Since I was in a hurry and didnt do my homework about ram sexing I started googling when I came back home. I cant buy rams in local pet store because they never have them. I was on a business trip in other city, saw aqua shop and found these two rams.

Things that confuse me are a bunch of different sexing images on the web, comments here where people say what does/doesnt matter like pink belly for example. Some say females have pink belly, others say some males have them too etc.

Thats why I decided to stop being a guest and create new thread.

Attachments

• IMG_20210119_215417.jpg
    IMG_20210119_215417.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20210119_215206.jpg
    IMG_20210119_215206.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 189

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Things that confuse me are a bunch of different sexing images on the web, comments here where people say what does/doesnt matter like pink belly for example. Some say females have pink belly, others say some males have them too etc.
I've always gone on the blue spangling in the <"humeral black blotch">. I'll add in @Chromedome.

cheers Darrel

Chromedome

5 Year Member
I think it looks like two females, based on another characteristic I learned from @coralbandit, a prolific breeder of ramirezi. The anal fin does not extend past the start of the caudal, which he says indicates female. Only time this doesn't work is when you have longfin Rams. The red bellies and short dorsal spikes also suggest female. I have seen males with a pinkish belly, but not a bright red one.

The trick is to look at all the usual indicators and see how many go one way and how many go the other. Then you have to figure out which ones should be given more credence. For example, the humeral spot method I have found to be fairly unreliable. Despite all the female characters visible on these fish, both have black humeral spots, which others say indicate male. But if that characteristic is rejected as unreliable, you are left with reasonable certainty that both fish are female.

denza025

@Chromedome Thanks a lot!
The thing is I bought rams for the first time. It's not like I am planning to breed them but I would like to have a pair or two pairs ( I have 200l aquarium) and see how they behave. These two, now I can say for sure, females are super active, swimming around, playing in front of lily pipe current etc. Really cool fish!
I didnt realize (until now) that it is quite difficult to do sexing of rams. I thought I can "google it" but then... Sooo many different opinions and methods which got me completely confused.

Now I have to get 2 males. So, can you tell me if I am correct about this:
- Looking for ram without red(ish) belly, pink(ish) can be ok
- Humeral spot without sparkling dots (not so big deal)
- Anal fin must go past caudal if I want male
- Dorsal spike should be longer

arquero0125

Hello,
I currently have a 75 gal with 3 breeding pairs of GBR. pink belly = female. I have seen the Non-Dominant males lose their spot completely if another pair is breeding.

in the picture, you can see the Female swimming above the male with fry. below him. Notice the pink belly on the female. This female also is vailed tailed.

Attachments

• Paired Rams with brud.jpg
    Paired Rams with brud.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

arquero0125

Hello,
I currently have a 75 gal with 3 breeding pairs of GBR. pink belly = female. I have seen the Non-Dominant males lose their spot completely if another pair is breeding.

in the picture, you can see the Female swimming above the male with fry. below him. Notice the pink belly on the female. This female also is vailed tailed.
ran out of time to edit it fully.

What I have noticed from my 3 breeding Pairs. The black spot comes and goes, as a show of dominance. I have yet to get a Pink bellied male. but stressed females will lose most coloring. Males tend to have a redder head.

Currently, I have broods from all three pairs at the moment. so If you need a male or two. I'm sure we can figure something out.

Jan 4th was the first notice of free-swimming fry. Today the Last pair has free-swimming fry.

oddly enough, the 1st pair is has adopted the 2nd pair's fry with no conflict!?!?

Flyfan

I have yet to get a Pink bellied male. but stressed females will lose most coloring.
I agree with arquero0125. Nice pink bellies equal females. I've stared at ram dorsal fins and anal fins until I became cross eyed. IMHO when the fish are young, most of the fins just haven't developed enough to be of good use in sexing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….