• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos and plecos.

Kirkl240

I recently bought 5 3” leopard frog plecos and will be here next week. My question is will it be safe to put my breeding pairs of apistos in with them as long as I make sure they have there own caves or would I need to make other arrangements. Thanks for any feedback

Ade205

If you'd like your apistogramma to produce fry, and you'd like your new plecos to keep their eye balls, I'd wager other arrangements are in order...

Have to agree. I recently had to house a few juvenile Cacatuoides in my main Discus display tank before I moved them on. I'd no idea that in the two weeks they were in there that they'd bred untill I witness an l260 try to dart for cover into into a small hole under a peice of wood as I approached the tank. What followed was savage as the brooding female Cac in said hole went ballistic! The fairly expensive l260 survived as did his eyeballs, but often this isn't the case!!

All mite be fine with your tank and fish, but I'd advise against it.

Ade.

Kirkl240

Have to agree. I recently had to house a few juvenile Cacatuoides in my main Discus display tank before I moved them on. I'd no idea that in the two weeks they were in there that they'd bred untill I witness an l260 try to dart for cover into into a small hole under a peice of wood as I approached the tank. What followed was savage as the brooding female Cac in said hole went ballistic! The fairly expensive l260 survived as did his eyeballs, but often this isn't the case!!

All mite be fine with your tank and fish, but I'd advise against it.

Ade.
Thanks for all the info cause I had no idea. I was more worried about the apistos. I will definitely make other arrangements.

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member
Another concern may be what you are feeding. Though L134 are carnivorous, too much meaty food may lead to bloat issues. This is more of an issue with discus and beef heart.

bbetta

5 Year Member
I’ve always had issues when keeping plecos with apistogramma. Sometimes my ancistrus would eat the eggs at night and on some instances they were being chased all around the tank (gladly there was never a serious injury) . I’d advise against it too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….