• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"Assorted" apisto ID please

Mtfallstodd

Got this one at my LFS a few weeks ago. Was in a tank labeled assorted apistogrammas. This was the boldest individual that looked to in good shape. Hope this pic is clear enough for an ID. It's in constant motion so it was a bit tough to get a good pic.

Attachments

• 20180324_130247.jpg
    20180324_130247.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 346

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
One photo, and nothing truly diagnostic in it, makes it hard to ID. I don't think it is Steel-blue, however. Steel-blue has a more distinctive caudal fin pattern of rows of spots across the entire caudal fin (more like that on A. caetei). I think it is a resticulosa-complex species. Maybe if you would check the 'sticky' on identification and provide more information I could give a better answer.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Thanks for the reply. I'll let it grow out a little and try to get some better pics.
Mike is much more likely to be right than I am.

Were there any females (black edges to the ventral fins) available? If there were I might try and buy a couple. You rarely see female A. Steel-blue, but if it is a resticulosa-complex fish you have more chance of getting a female of the same species.

cheers Darrel

Mtfallstodd

No obvious females, there appears to several different types together. At least 3 different caudal fin shapes. I'm going to let mine grow a bit and color up. Might make it a bit easier to Id.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….