• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing some dwarf cichlids

maalgard

Hello,

I've got two "couples" of dwarf cichlids and doubts. Two apistogramma macmasteris and twos maroniis.
I need your enlightened opinions to determine their genders. Here are the fishes :

macmasteri 1 (sold as male) :
e0jx3b.jpg

vobojn.jpg

macmasteri 2 (female ?) :
2ufdis5.jpg

315ir2g.jpg

Maronii 1 (the oldest) :
2dw86wz.jpg

Maronii 2 :
2mzjgcj.jpg

33v25uq.jpg

Please excuse my poor english.
Thanks for your time.
best regards,

MD

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your 'female' macmasteri looks like it probably is a young male to me. My guess is that it is still small, based on the size to the Rummy Nose Tetra. The Cleithacara appear to be sexed correctly (if over 3"/7,5 cm).

maalgard

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your reply.
The 'female' macmasteri is 1"1/2 and the Cleithacara are >3" for the oldest (male?) and 2" for the other one (female?).

TCMontium

5 Year Member
It seems to me that you have a macmasteri pair, but the sexes are the opposites. Or is the fish in the first two photos so yellow because of yellowish lighting/flash? Other than the yellow coloration, "his" tail has no tips either, which is very common in macmasteri males. So that is another hint for "him" being a female.
3rd and 4th photos are a male macmasteri for sure (if the selective variations did not go as far as producing "male-looking" females, which did happen with some cacatuoides lineages).

maalgard

Thanks TCMontium for your reply.
The fish in the first two photos is actually yellowish, even without the flash.

gerald

5 Year Member
Keyholes (C. maronii) are tricky to determine sex. Males can get long fin filaments, but non-dominant males and females are nearly indistiguishable to me.

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
I'd agree that they are likely both males, based on the facial patterns. Female A. macmasteri don't typically have the red speckling.

maalgard

The more I watch them the more agree with you Drayden. The biggest (first 2 pics) is constantly chasing the other one, but not in a sexual/parading way. More to take the other one out of his territory.

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
It's also easy to tell from the shape of the tips of the dorsal fin spines. The males will have pointy spines, while the females' spines are almost rounded off. This seems to be a fairly good indication even from early age.

gerald

5 Year Member
I'd agree that they are likely both males, based on the facial patterns. Female A. macmasteri don't typically have the red speckling.

Some of the modern hyper-pigmented aquarium strains of Apistos showing up these days have females with a surprising amount of male-like color. 15 years ago that yellow fish with red facial speckles would have most likely been a non-dominant male trying its best to look a female to avoid being murdered. But with recent selective breeding, i'm not sure anymore. Time will tell ...

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Some of the modern hyper-pigmented aquarium strains of Apistos showing up these days have females with a surprising amount of male-like color. 15 years ago that yellow fish with red facial speckles would have most likely been a non-dominant male trying its best to look a female to avoid being murdered. But with recent selective breeding, i'm not sure anymore. Time will tell ...
A. cacatuoides are the worst for this. I've seen farms with breeding pairs and wondered where the females are because they look exactly like the males.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….