• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hyphessobrycon sp. Red-Blue Peru

Ekona

5 Year Member
Just received 3M/5F of this nice species. Photos below are 10 mins after adding to aquarium.
There does not appear to be much info on this species regarding range (other than Peru) or natural habitat that I can find.
Anyone have info on natural history of these or experience keeping breeding?

TIA,
Dave

Male
lru7.jpg

Female
wkny.jpg

gerald

5 Year Member
Of course ... They're "just native fish" for you. We never see Enneacanthus, Elassoma, Notropis, Etheostoma, etc in USA shops, but they're in high demand in Europe and East Asia. (Do you ever see these USA natives in Peruvian shops?) That tetra is a beauty.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Great fishes...unfortunately we dont find anything like that here in the shops :mad::(

'Course, living in Peru, you could always go collect your own (IF you, or someone, knew where to find them ;))...much as Gerald goes out to collect his own US native fishes - and some right nice one's at that ;).

The Hyphessobrycon are nice, but VERY shy. The slightest movement in front of the tank sends them scurrying for cover. 15 minutes later they might come back out if there is absolutely no movement. I'm hoping they will loose some of their timidity or perhaps I'll have to add some dithers the help them feel more at ease :cool:.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Actually, dimming the lighting and another day in the tank seemed to calm them down some. Also a good feeding of quality frozen and live foods cheered them up. I'm actually seeing what I think is spawning behavior tonight; the dominant male circling around females and chasing them into clumps of sphagnum moss. Both dive in for a few seconds and then spring back out. An amazing transformation from the skittish fishes of just one day ago :).

themountain

5 Year Member
I had that behavior with wild neon tetras I brought back from Iquitos...one day they were practically invisible and the other they spawned :cool: They are weird fishes ,but so beautiful ;)

Ekona

5 Year Member
Another photo of the dominant male showing a bit more of the metallic blue/green that can be seen from different angles and lighting...nice looking fish. I'm not much of a fish breeder, I more enjoy keeping and photographing, however, I might have to give these a try.
They have settled in nicely, gotten used to their surroundings and are out in the open much more :)
zyl8.jpg

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi..

I have seen these tetras in my L.F.S.
They bought the fishes from a supplier in Germany. According to their stocklist, the specimens are bred in Germany.

I searched on the web for pics and landed on the site.. fishbase.org !!

It might be
Hyphessobrycon peruvianus
described by Ladiges 1938 if my info is correct..
Some other species are similar if you have a look..

In other pics they look more black/pale than blue/beautiful compared with yours....
but I guess it`s only a matter of who is placed behind the camera !!
:):););)

themountain

5 Year Member
mmmh...Hyph.peruanus is a different fish! There are at least 5 species very close looking but the first posted is by far the nicest.
I try to figure out to get some from Iquitos for my next 180 lt project :)

Ekona

5 Year Member
Hi..

It might be
Hyphessobrycon peruvianus
described by Ladiges 1938 if my info is correct..
Some other species are similar if you have a look..

In other pics they look more black/pale than blue/beautiful compared with yours....
but I guess it`s only a matter of who is placed behind the camera !!
:):););)

Thanks for your replies, guys. I'd have to agree with The Mountain that these are probably not H. peruvianus, at least according to the information on the internet, but as labeled, an undescribed species. And, I agree again, the nicest of the several similarly colored species/forms. Great that they are being commercially bred in Germany and available at the LFS; would be great if they were more commonly available in US, although they do appear infrequently as WC specimens.

Ekona

5 Year Member
mmmh...Hyph.peruanus is a different fish! There are at least 5 species very close looking but the first posted is by far the nicest.
I try to figure out to get some from Iquitos for my next 180 lt project :)

Best of luck, hope you can find some - they are very cool :cool::)

Ekona

5 Year Member
This morning (after reading some informative accounts of tetra breeding procedures last evening) the dominant male was zipping around the 20L tank like a bee, and all the other tetras were hunkered down in the mosses. Occasionally one or two would come out and the male would circle around them and chase them until they hid in the mosses again. It is very interesting to observe this tetra behavior. I've never really been a tetra fan, but these Red-Blues are just so nice looking, and it's great watching them. I never realized how territorial and energetic tetras could be, I always have seen them hanging about in dealer's tanks gently swimming around or remaining relatively still. These guys are acting a lot like rainbows or even small cichlids!!

gerald

5 Year Member
Looks like the same fish to me. You might contact PFK and see if they've found out if it has a valid name yet, or if it's an undescribed species. That PFK article was from 2011; no author listed.

themountain

5 Year Member
Last edited:

3ze

5 Year Member
Just found this topic...
I got a group of wc too and keep them in the same way.
Didn't try breeding them.
Some more Germanybred are coming this week.
Is named H. margitae now, I heard...
Found some info

Love to hear your views.

chris1805

5 Year Member
I saw them in my lfs too. Have been thinking about adding them to my tank as well. So i will keep following to see if someone has more information on them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….