• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

You learn something new everyday!!

ste12000

5 Year Member
Three weeks ago i picked up two pairs of A.Panduro, a fish thats been on my wanted list for some time! Due to a lack of available breeding tanks they were kept in a small 18x10x10 with three young pairs of A.Cacatuoides..Small i know but water quality is not an issue and its not a long term home..
I added several caves and pots to cut down on aggression and things settled nicely.
Yesterday i cleared, cleaned and setup a fresh breeding tank ready for the Panduro(one pair) i went to get them out and found the female hiding under a plant pot saucer with a clutch of 36 eggs!!!!! Totally unexpected and it makes a mockery out of me spending two hours preparing a fresh breeding tank! Oh well nothing to lose so i removed the pair and placed them into the new tank, i then decided to transfer the saucer with eggs to the new tank to see what happened, nothing ventured, nothing gained?
The fish bounced around the tank for an hour or so checking out the new territory and reveling in the extra space and lack of tankmates..Within the hour the female entered the pot, blocked herself in and continued broodcare as if nothing had happened... I was suprised at that, i thought they would be ignored. Upto now(24hours) she is a typical apisto mother and performing perfect broodcare..I suppose thats why we love them so much!!

RAF

5 Year Member
I hope my recent bought couple will do so fine as yours... for now I have them separated because the male was a bit horny and the female (larger) wasn't... the result... a injured male!

Best of luck with yours breeding.

michelle

5 Year Member
Amazement

ste12000,

You amaze me ste12000 - does n't matter which forum I look at. One i'm a member of or one I'm simply browsing. You are always there posting pictures and stories of success about your delightful fish. Gosh I'm envious.

I'm pretty new to fishkeeping, but I love all these stories - it gives me hope to successfully breed one day.

Michelle

ste12000

5 Year Member
Thanks Michelle, im not doing anything that you could not do!! Its not rocket science and all it takes is good water, good feeding and a good strong knowledge of both the fish and their natural habitat..I hope you do try to breed some fish, Its a very rewarding part of the hobby.

Heres some pics of the freeswimmers.
DSCF4377.jpg

DSCF4425.jpg

DSCF4450.jpg

RAF

5 Year Member
It's quite a thrill when it happens, even if you saw it happen lots of times before, isn't it?

Best of luck with the young. My couple is still divorced, it's a bit too early to try and conciliate them, I think my male isn't quite recovered yet!:rolleyes:

ste12000

5 Year Member
It's quite a thrill when it happens, even if you saw it happen lots of times before, isn't it?

Best of luck with the young. My couple is still divorced, it's a bit too early to try and conciliate them, I think my male isn't quite recovered yet!:rolleyes:

I dont think i will ever get bored of watching a mother Apisto bring out her young for the first time...There is something so satisfying about knowing you had a part to play in the creation of new life!!

Its the females that intrigue me the most..i love the colour changes in the brooding females..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….