• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

WTB: Apistogramma Cacatuoides

sprucetree

5 Year Member
I live in canada, Vancouver BC to be exact.
I am new to keeping apistogramma and would like to know where I can purchase some nice specimens of the Cacatuides? I don't quite know what all the verities of these look like. I am interested in ones with very red fins.

DH247

5 Year Member
Hello spruce!

Welcome to the forum. This has been one of the best places for information on various apisto species that I have found.

Like you I am also in Vancouver, but I have a hard time finding apistos north of the border, let a lone a reliable source for them. I do find that Big Al's will occassionally bring them in (very occassionally....) as will Aquariums West down on Burrard. Charles (BCAquaria.com) will also on occassion bring in some apistos, but he specializes more in plecos and catfish. However, there are some hobbyists across the country and if you are willing to have fish shipped during the spring and summer months (you take your chances in the winter.... heat packs are a must and not always reliable...) you can find them. ApistoDave (Aquabid.com) can also be a good source as he can ship via Purolator if you have an account set up. Cac's are far more common to find, but nice ones can be hard to come across. I'm sure as you delve more deeply into the Apisto world you find much more challenging and harder to find 'grails' along the way. Personally, I enjoy the slender bodied Apistos more.

Beyond good hunting ;) I will say to learn as much as you can about the fish you look to buy. They are sensitive to water conditions and anything but soft acidic water, for optimal health anyways. Some have had success with harder and neutral water, but Apistos prefer and prosper in soft acidic water. Luckily for us Vancouver's water is already very soft and slightly acidic. So you can make use of aerated tap water (at least 24 hour to remove the Chlorine) for your starting point and lower acididty from there if you choose. The Caca's are very tolerant to a wider range of water param's so they will be happy as can be in the water we have. Good luck!!

red

5 Year Member
Charles on BCA currently has some cockatoos in with red fins.

I'm going to pick some up this week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….