• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about surviving male A. cacatuoides after mate died

J

Jshafer81

Hello,

I posted over in the general forum a few days back about the death of a gold ram in my 29 gallon community tank. The next morning the female of my pair of triple-red A cacatuoides was dying. I tested my water againb and found everything correct, so took it to my LFS. My nitrates had spiked, something I was not aware affected freshwater tank. A sad leanring experience. The 50% water change I did that morning broguht the nitrates down to non-toxic lvls, but now the surviving male doesn't seem to be eating. I feed dried brine, and flake foods. I feed the tank live brine occasionally and will try that tomorrow. I also have frozen mysis on hand for my saltwater tank. Would this be a choice for the freshwater tank?

As for getting another female, one LFs said he'd be fine, another said he'd possibly die from lonliness. Any suggestions from the forum on this situation would be appreciated. Also, any online companies that sell individual apistos would be helpful. LFS only sell pairs.

thanks,
Justin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….