• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

wild apisto names

fatcow82much

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,
I have some apisto's i cant identify from a wild list. Does anyone have any guesse's or answers?

apistogramma napoensis
apistogramma blue
apistogramma blue eye
apistogramma baby face
apistogramma ambiacus

Thanks,
Bobby

Rolo

5 Year Member
fatcow82much said:
apistogramma napoensis
apistogramma blue
apistogramma blue eye
apistogramma baby face
apistogramma ambiacus

apistogramma ambiacus could mean Ap. sp. "Ampiyacu"... an invalid name for Ap. sp. "Pebas".

the rest? ... no idea, never heard.

greetings,
Rolo

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Don't you just love all the madeup names the fish distributers come up with? Your best option is get 6-8 of each and see what you get. I can think of species for the given colors but that amounts to way too many species to list. It is pretty much impossible to nail any certain species down without the acutal scientific name or location. Sometimes I think one shouldn't buy fish if the person selling them doesn't even know the correct name or location of where the fish were collected. Try asking him for the species or location and see what they say. If they are not sure then you might consider looking elsewhere. Though I do admit seeing wild caught apistos come in is fun. You never know what you are going to get.

fatcow82much

5 Year Member
This is a peru importer in located in lima. I have heard that the apistogramma napoensis is probaly a color morph of the cacatuoides, but like you said you cant know for sure with out having the fish or knowing the name. I was just seeing if anyone has gotten in fish under these names and if they identified them.

Thanks,
Bobby

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….