• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why!!!

R

redestwing

Hello, New here and was lookin for advice on my Double Red that I had purchased. had him for 2 days and he was awsome...... in a QT tank feeding good. Well as of an hour ago I look to see how he is doing, and he was gasping for air, could not swim for nuthin. No sooner do I register on here for advice, he dies. Can someone plz tell me if there is any special needs this fish require that I am not aware of? I have had 2 males and both have died. But yet females live????????????????? These were ment for a Planted Discus tank but yet can not get past the QT stage. :mad:

Water conditions:
ph:6.2
Temp:80
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
water: soft/medium

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
You may not want them with discus....apisto C prefer lower temps than discus. It will shorten their lifespan, but agression wise they will be fine.

Sorry you lost the male.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I wish I could help you, but your conditions should be fine for A. cacatuoides. There are several possibilities that come to mind. One is an infestation of gill parasites. Another is poison in the water somehow. If you got both males from the same place, I suggest looking elsewhere.

R

redestwing

yeah.... the Female is livin it up. I just found it odd that I find the males dead. as for havin them in a Discus Display tank..... thats the whole reason I got 'em. I saw them in a 680 gallon Planted Discus Tank and they were awsome lookin, so of course I wanted to duplicate what i saw :rolleyes:

fishgeek

larger fish are more sensitive to oxygen depravation
at higher temperatures water can hold less dissolved oxygen

i do not know if discus have better gill function and can cope with low oxygen saturation fo rthey are obviously larger fish

just thoughts andrew

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Discus, despite their higher temperature requirements, have slower metabolism than Apistogramma. Apistos are like humming birds compared to discus. Been breeding and raising both for 40 years. Discus can live to be 8 or more years compared to a few years max for Apistos..

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nanotankfun

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(