• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which should i add?

gex18

5 Year Member
I have a pair of apisto nijsseni in a 125 US gallon, but want to add more (there is plenty of bogwood/plant/cave cover), should i add another pair of nijsseni, more females (do they form harems), or should i add another apitso type, i have access to;

Aggassizi
Cacatoudies
Macmasteri?

cootwarm

5 Year Member
You can definitely add more females. According to Romers Atlas, nijsseni males can be monogamous or polygamous. Personally, I find their behavior more interesting with harems rather than pairs. I would get more nijsseni and stick with 1 apisto species.

With a 125 gallon tank, if the nijsseni are still young, you also should be able to add a second male depending on the temperment of the dominant male. I've found that when there is enough room (and hiding places) for a second male, it enhances the behavior of the dominant male. With a potentual replacement in the picture, the dominant male struts his stuff more often.

If I ever get a larger home, I'd like as big a tank as possible with a colony of just 1 species of apisto for the bottom, a school of cardinal tetras for mid-water, and a school of marbled hatchetfish for the surface area. Maybe some pencilfish if it isn't too crowded. I'm thinking of viejita, but nijsseni would also make a cool colony, with 3 or 4 yellow panda looking females, each tending their own little family group.

If there is plenty of plants, caves, and driftwood for cover, a small school of cardinals shouldn't be too bad a problem for the fry (just leave a night light near the tank). Hatchetfish hangout at the surface, so they aren't a threat. And my beckfordi pencilfish wouldn't hurt a "fry". :lol:

Michael

Randall

5 Year Member
Tank mates for Apistogramma nijsenni

Hello Gex,

Me thinks Michael offers excellent advise. In a 125-gallon tank, however, you can add another Apistogramma species, if you like. Given your options, I'd go with A. aggassizi. Both species thrive in soft, acidic water and should be able to hold their own in a tank of such great size.

A. macmasteri is also found in very soft, acidic water, but is not as socially aggressive as A. nijsenni and A. aggassizi, with the former being more aggressive than the latter.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….