• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which female to keep ?

Jebe

Hi everyone,
I have three young Apistogramma baenschi in a 80L (21 gal) tank. One is a male and the other two females (a 4th was removed and turned out to be female too). They are nearly 6 months old and the two remaining females are turning a beautiful yellow.

I cannot safely keep both females here. But which one should stay with the male ?
Candidate 1 is paler but she has her own territory, and the male seems to tolerate/ignore her when she gets close.
20201026_203018.jpg
20201026_200415.jpg

Candidate 2 has a more prononced yellow colors (nearly golden) but is picked up a lot by both the male and the other female. She doesn't have a territory of her own and hangs out on the male's, which leads to countless chases.
20201026_203031.jpg

Sooo... which one should move out ?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, I too would have kept all 3 together until they decided which was the breeding pair. Although not a choosy about breeding partners as some nijsseni-group species, A. baenschi will prefer one mate over another. This makes breeding more harmonious and successful.

Jebe

So... Moving the 3rd female was a hasty move ?
Should I bring all 3 females back with the male, at the risk one or two get killed? Or wait and see of the pair gets well together, and switch females if not ?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If both the male and female were attacking the other female, then they had already established a breeding bond (not really a pair bond). If so then it was best to removed the picked-on female.

Jebe

Thank you. Tonight, I saw the remaining female trying to guide the male to her cave - it seems like things are not going to bad.

Jebe

Small update.
The tank definitely calmed down since the 2nd female moved out. There are a few short chases in the pair, but also long periods searching for food side by side in the dead leaves. The female tried to lure the male in her cave a few time (with no success so far).
20201028_212906.jpg

20201106_001415-1.jpg

Andy452

Beautiful fish! Sounds like some spawning could be just around the corner - good luck :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….