• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Where to get those "rare" apistos??

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
Guess the title says it all!!

Where can we get them?
I've been browsing on some japanese sites, and they have really nice ones! Wish I could get my hands on some of those, but they don't seem to be available in America.

Anyone have any of the unheard of ones, or know where to get them??

David

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Try contacting some of the sellers of apistos on AquaBid.

Ken Davis (Fishfarmusa) has recently been selling many unusual wild caught apistos. I'm expecting some Apistogramma sp. Maulbruter (Mouthbrooder) and Apistogramma atahualpa early next week but he has many other more unusual apistos like Apache for example.

There are a few other sellers of apistos there too. AquaBid is probably the best way to find new sources of apisto because you can checkout the sellers feedback and see how well he takes care of his fish and customers.

Michael

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
Hi Michael,

I've actually ordered from Ken (Fishfarmusa) and received them yesterday! Got some sp. maulbruter, atahualpa and sp. Inka.

I'm now looking for those impossible ones. I'll try to make up my list tommorow!!

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi David,

I'm expecting and order from Ken of the exact same fish, just add some wild cacatuoides to that list! How did they turn out? Ken has a lot of good feedback.

Too bad we all aren't independantly wealthy and could fly down to South America on a whim with some buckets and nets! Now that would be a vacation! I doubt my wife would agree though. :roll:

Michael

Leipo

5 Year Member
_BaDgUy_ said:
Hi Michael,

I've actually ordered from Ken (Fishfarmusa) and received them yesterday! Got some sp. maulbruter, atahualpa and sp. Inka.

I'm now looking for those impossible ones. I'll try to make up my list tommorow!!

If they are impossible to find then you will never find them. And if you find them they weren't impossible to find.... so your search will continue :D

Good luck ;)

bumblebee odyssey

5 Year Member
uhhh

what apistos are they??

am i missing it i cant see the name anywhere??

mmm ok i'll see if i can help oce i have the name :D :wink:

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
Well, I'm a day late, but here are the ones we see on asian sites, but which seem to be extremely hard to find, not to say impossible!!

gephyra
wilhelmi
geisleri
brevis
sp. breitbinden
sp. miau
iniridae
sp. vierstreifen
meinkeni
uapesi
gibbiceps
mendezi
moae
guttata
sp. rubrolineata
tucurui

There are more, but those are the ones I'm interested in.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
I have uauapesi, and iniridae. I got them from Oliver Lucanis.....he will be back from Peru soon. You might want to check with him in a couple of weeks.

Rich

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Thanks Matt! I really need to get on his mailing list. I have a friend that fowards it so i keep forgetting. Gonna go do it now! For those of you who are interested, my uauapesi female is bright yellow. i'm going to give her an ro water change tonight and see if I can't get a spawn!

Rich

Neil

bumblebee odyssey,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

That "rare" list probably is a little different from person to person. I think that _BaDgUy_ was just refering to many apistos that he likes but never sees.

they don't seem to be available in America.

Well, as some have said there are some available at times. You just have to really keep your eyes peeled for the rare ones. In the past year, at one time or another, I have had the following fish on the pricelist here:
gephyra
sp. breitbinden
sp. miua
sp. vierstreifen
uapesi
gibbiceps
mendezi
sp. rubrolineata
As well as elizabethae, pulchra, fresa, and numerous others.

So, they can be had. You just have to snatch them when they show their fins. And be ready for a little clip to your wallet!

Neil

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
farm41 said:
Oliver just sent a new stock list on sunday the 16th, some of the fish you want are on it.

Hi farm41,

The problem with Oliver is that I'm from Quebec, and he usually does not sell to people in Quebec, we have to pass by a pet shop, and most are not too keen on that idea :(

So my only hope is to eaither keep scouring AquaBid, online pet shops of fish shops, or wait untill someone from the US comes up and picks up the fish I want!! :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….