• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When to give my new A. cacatuoides their first meal?

Darren K

I just got in a shipment of 6 A. cacatuoides “Rio itaya”, this is my first time ordering fish online and I was wondering if I should be feeding them tonight or wait until tomorrow when they are more settled in?
IMG_9183.JPG

Better photos to come once they are out. Still fairly small.

MacZ

You can feed them the same day. Just do a very small amount in case they are not yet going for it.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I just got in a shipment of 6 A. cacatuoides “Rio itaya”, this is my first time ordering fish online and I was wondering if I should be feeding them tonight
Do you have any live food? Particularly something like California Blackworm (Lumbriculus variegatus) which won't foul the water if the fish don't eat it.

cheers Darrel

Darren K

Hi all,

Do you have any live food? Particularly something like California Blackworm (Lumbriculus variegatus) which won't foul the water if the fish don't eat it.

cheers Darrel
I have been feeding them grindal worms, I can not find blackworms here. They seem to be taking them just fine. A couple have also eaten frozen baby brine shrimp. I just am careful to remove any that are uneaten after a little while.

MacZ

Dead Artemia nauplii are not a problem. The typical mode of feeding for Apistogramma is chewing sand and mulm and picking at it. They will get the Artemia anyway. No need to remove them.

Darren K

Dead Artemia nauplii are not a problem. The typical mode of feeding for Apistogramma is chewing sand and mulm and picking at it. They will get the Artemia anyway. No need to remove them.
Sounds good, that will make my life much more simple.

MacZ

I was going to ask whether you aren't a bit young for university, when I realized you have a different school system in the US. Good luck then.

Darren K

Thanks everyone, the exam was easy, almost too easy, which is a bit worrying but now I just have to wait for marks. Apistos are also doing well so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….