• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is the difference in behavior and care requirements between Nijsseni, Panduro and Baenschi Inka?

anewbie

I realize these three species are closely related but is there much difference in their behavior or care requirements or are they pretty much identical beyond cosmetic (and genetic) differences ?

MacZ

Tom has some info related to your question on his website.

A. nijsseni A. panduro A. baenschi
Seems water and habitat requirements are pretty much identical (blackwater).

And it's just A. baenschi. The "inka" is just part of the tradename from before its scientific description and nowerdays sometimes crops up as the common Name in German ("Inka-Zwergbuntbarsch" = "Inca dwarf cichlid").

hengeli

5 Year Member
Behaviour is pretty much an individual fish thing - some are more aggressive than others. I had A. Hoignei that were chasing fish 3 times their size around in a 60 litre 2 foot tank.

Would choose the Baenschi over the rest as they are a bit more special; Panduro are bread butter fish and quite common.

anewbie

Behaviour is pretty much an individual fish thing - some are more aggressive than others. I had A. Hoignei that were chasing fish 3 times their size around in a 60 litre 2 foot tank.

Would choose the Baenschi over the rest as they are a bit more special; Panduro are bread butter fish and quite common.
I agree there is variance in individual fishes as well as behavior induced by tank mates and environment; i would also claim that individual species have certain trends with some being more passive and others more aggressive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(