• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what is he?

kris apistogramma

images.jpeg

kris apistogramma

so what is that differs from the viejita as i have seen both and they look very similar when juvies also there is no points on the tail :/ cofused and this one is fully grown and from what i have read macs are deep bodied

kris apistogramma

but then whats to say its not just a colour strain of the same fish there are thousands of fish out there with different strains varients and patterns so why is this one any different i mean they both come from the same stretch of river they both are mistaken and they both look very similar ive seen pics of wild caught ect and whats to say its diet has not implemented the colour or size ect confused alot on this one as noq1 has given any real solid evidence like dna

merlin

5 Year Member
If you ask what it is and people take time to tell you why cant you accept its a macmasterii. The people who really know their apistogramma have repeated this point many times on this forum. Many apistogramma look similar it does not mesn they are the same just that they belong to a family species called Apistogramma.
I also have this fish species and accept its macmasteri.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

kris apistogramma

thats what i meant but gave up trying to spell it lol i accept that but there is so much talk about the fish in question and i have not seen what a viejita is meant to look like apart from 1 that is a supposed wild caught however there was no evidence to back it up so what do they really look like i mean my question what is he then if you go online or look in books ect they all look different yet still called a macmasteri thats my point i have looked in the mergus cichlid atlas and even the pics in there are different or for example my profile pic of my boy he looks different and with him still cant get an answer to his colour form as he has yellow shoulder not red if you get my point :/

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I base my identifications for the 2 species primarily on the original species descriptions. 99% of the fish on the web and 80% of those in hobbyist books (more or less) mis-identify a strain/population of A. macmasteri as A. viejita. Sadly, too many people with the fish want it to be A. viejita because that's what it's sold as and is more exotic. No matter how much one wishes, it doesn't make it so. If you are seriously interested in the differences between the species, it is discussed in detail in Koslowski's book "Die Buntbarsche Americas, Band 2 - Apistogramma & Co.", on the Cichlid Room Companion web site, and multiple times on this forum. BTW color in apistos rarely is a diagnostic feature, especially with professional taxonomists.

kris apistogramma

i have read both books by uwe romer and have found the information very helpful either way its a very nice fish wether exotic or not the pic is not of my fish but one i found on another fish group and named viejita so was wondering if he was i now know its not all info has been great :) thanks guys

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I hate to say it, but none of the fish Uwe pictures as A. viejita in CA1 are A. viejita. All are A. macmasteri. CA1 is rather old now and new information has proven that many of his identifications in it are inaccurate, all or in part: A. agassizii, A. brevis, A. cruzi, A. eunotus, A. juruensis, 'A. maciliensis', A. personata, A. pertensis, A. pulchra, A. regani off the top of my head. I think the same is true for the A. viejita juveniles pictured in CA2. They have the caudal spot of A. macmasteri.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….