• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what do I need to get started?

D

Doedogg

Hi! I'm looking into starting a 10 gal at work and have been trying to find a nice small pair of fish to put in it. Then I saw A.agassizi and Microgeophagus ramirezi and fell in love! I started looking around and saw all the other beautiful Dwarfs and decided I needed to get some. I have searched around looking for information about these guys but most of what I can find is about breeding, which would be a plus, but not something that is necessary to me at this point. I guess what I need is to be pointed in the right direction.
I can tell you the things I have learned:
1. soft, acidic water is best (my water is about 7.0 after sitting with a GH of 3)
2. they like sandy or small graveled bottoms
3. they need a cave of some kind and plants

Things I need to know:
1.what do they like to eat? live, flake, frozen (I'm not a big fan of freeze dried)
2. do I need other fish in the tank (I keep seeing people mention dither fish)
3. what is a good starter fish, I mentioned above what I like
4. is a HOB filter (have one) okay or is there another one that is better
5.cycled tank? I did read that they liked frequent water changes which isn't a problem...I have Bettas

I guess thats a start. If anyone wants to throw information at me I would be a very happy girl! :D

Steph

Neil

Doedogg,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

1.what do they like to eat? live, flake, frozen (I'm not a big fan of freeze dried)

All of the above. But IMO the best, considering ease and nutrition, is frozen foods. Please take a look at this article and remember that what you have access to and will best remember to regularly feed, without it becoming a real chore, is what you should consider first.
http://www.apistogramma.com/cms/content/Articles/Dwarf_Cichlid_Husbandry/Dwarf_Cichlid_Nutrition/

If breeding is not your ultimate goal, then I say yes. A small school of tetras or pencilfish will add some interest to the tank and probably reduce the shyness of the pair of apistos you choose.

Borellii and cacatuoides are about the best, but agassizii is a pretty good choice. I tend to steer clear of recommending rams to a first-timer. They can be pretty sensative and require more care to be really successful in a small tank.

That will be fine. One of the main concerns with them is that they have the drawback of possibly sucking in newborn fry. Again, not the ultimate concern for you. Just make sure that you clean it fairly often. Just doing waterchanges will not be enough with a HOB filter. They can get dirty quickly and cause a reduction in water quality, even with a good waterchange schedule. Water cleanliness is of supreme importance for Apistogramma husbandry.

5.cycled tank? I did read that they liked frequent water changes which isn't a problem...I have Bettas

You definitely want a cycled tank. Although I have used apistos to cycle tanks in the past, it is not something that I would recommend. They can be delicate animals and should be given every chance to flourish. Starting them off by putting them through a cycling process would not be wise and may lead to extended health problems or death.

Good luck,

Neil

aspen

5 Year Member

-i feed a variety of flake, frozen (hikari bloodworms and tubifex, beefheart) and save live for when i want them to breed.

-dithers are not a necessity, but you want to put together an interesting display. in a 10 gal, a pair of rams or apistos, some oto's or a bushynose pleco and a few small tetras would work fine.

-imo, the best starter fish are rams, a.cacatuoides, or a. borellii. all are fine starters and worth keeping. borellii or rams would be better for a 10 than cacatuoides.

any decent filter will do. imo, even a corner box filter will work perfectly fine. not too much current though.

imo a cycled tank is a must. sensitive fish will not tolerate amm or nitrite. i change water once or twice per week, i use aged water, 50% is plenty, many get away with less. with proper water, there isn't 'too much'.

rick

D

Doedogg

Thanks Neil and Rick for all the answers! One last question for now...what are oak leaves for?

Steph

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Steph,

Once the oak leaves sink to the bottom I put them in a pile so the apistos can swim in & out of. With most apistos leaf litter is part of their natural habitat. It helps them feel more comfortable. To make them comfortable in a 10 gallon, you'll need things like oak leaves, driftwood, caves, plants etc. These things provide cover and make them feel safe.

Michael

D

Doedogg

Thanks Michael! :D I wasn't sure if they did something for the water or what. I'm assuming brown (fallen off the tree ones)are best? I'll have to do some searching, oaks aren't too common around here.

Steph

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Steph,

They are supposed to contribute in a small way to the acidity of the water, but the effect is very small.

Yes, you definitely want brown leaves. I found my oak leaves at a city park. Make sure you clean them. You know dogs and city parks, there are probably very few places they haven't flagged! :wink:

Michael

D

Doedogg

No city parks either. I think someone down the street has an oak tree. I'm actually just across Lake Champlain from you in the ADKS.

Steph

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….