• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What did he bring home?

Janafish

Sold as a pair of tank raised A. cf. Ortega "Pebas" to my roommate as a gift for me (because I love Apistos). But this little gem is raising a ruckus. 1591897788163.jpeg This female(?) is twice the size of the male and has proclaimed the status of high and mighty ruler of all things contained in an established planted 30 gallon tank. The male is
1591898107814.jpeg is a quiet fellow typical of all the Apistos I have lived with in the past. Do I REALLY have a pair of Pebas here? I'm finding it hard to locate a description which matches the first fish/new tank terrorist. Could really use some expert advise as to what I have. The shop does guarantee sex when sold as pairs, and if this isn't I should take action to correct the situation. If it is just a miss matched pair he should be able to play hide and seek until he puts some growth on perhaps, or maybe move him to a 30 of his own to bulk up? With Covid most shops are not open and I have little hope I can run out and find females to create a harem for him. Here's hoping someone out there has some answers!

MickeM

5 Year Member
I would check and ask with your store if possible.. You ought to be able to return the one/s you don`t want to keep..
Maybe they can order a matching fish for the one you want .. from a wholesaler or breeder..??
Females of any Apisto are often harder to get than males !!!
I hope you can solve it with your store !! :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, the female is a nijsseni-group female. It looks odd. Either it is a new (to me) species or a cross. The other is either A. cf. ortegai (Pebas) of A. sp. Putumayo. I can't say for sure from the photo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….