• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What combination would this make?

wtusa1783

So I have a female apistogramma cacatuoides double red and my lfs only has the orange flash cacatuoides. What would happen with a male orange flash and a female double red? Would the dry be different?

This is a very good question.
They will breed but im not 100% sure how they would turn out. I have a theory but I'll wait for someone with experience on this. :)

wtusa1783

This is a very good question.
They will breed but im not 100% sure how they would turn out. I have a theory but I'll wait for someone with experience on this. :)
I think it would make an interesting combo tbh. But the stores will most likely want pure bred ones, huh?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Ok so what could I sell them for?
I used to get about £1 ($1.30) a fish sexable juvenile at the LFS, usually as a credit note. They didn't want too many females, so pairs or males. Those fish would be on sale later for ~£8 or £15 for a pair.

Private sale didn't really work for me, because this isn't an area where many people keep soft water fish and I won't post fish.

cheers Darrel

wtusa1783

Hi all, I used to get about £1 ($1.30) a fish sexable juvenile at the LFS, usually as a credit note. They didn't want too many females, so pairs or males. Those fish would be on sale later for ~£8 or £15 for a pair.

Private sale didn't really work for me, because this isn't an area where many people keep soft water fish and I won't post fish.

cheers Darrel
Ok. They sell for like $40 a pair near me so

yukondog

5 Year Member
I would say talk to you local pet shop and see if they will take them, and if you want to breed them be prepared to have a bunch of fry you may not want, it is real easy to overload your LPS and they may only take 4 or 5 at a time, they dont want fish they cant turn, if it were me I would go for the orange flash pair, at least with them you have a name you can call them other than mutts, which we have enough of already. Good luck

wtusa1783

I would say talk to you local pet shop and see if they will take them, and if you want to breed them be prepared to have a bunch of fry you may not want, it is real easy to overload your LPS and they may only take 4 or 5 at a time, they dont want fish they cant turn, if it were me I would go for the orange flash pair, at least with them you have a name you can call them other than mutts, which we have enough of already. Good luck
Thanks but I definitely won’t have a problem with selling them. The pair I got was imported from Europe bc they couldn’t find them local. I WANT a bunch of fry

yukondog

5 Year Member
That's good, you'll need aged water, do you know how to hatch BBS and have the stuff on hand to do it? If not it is really easy.

Last edited:

wtusa1783

That's good, you'll need aged water, do you know how to hatch BBS and have the stuff on hand to do it?
I really want to. Perhaps when I get a first spawn I will try and hatch some. I usually just crush up flakes. I will leave the babies for a week or so and they can graze on some micro organisms. I will be starting a new tank for my next pair. It will of course have a cycled sponge filter and some media in a hob filter.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Ok. They sell for like $40 a pair near me so
Unfortunately there isn't much correlation between what the shop pays you for any fish that they are willing to take and what they charge the customer.

I've bred Hypancistrus L129 in the past and even they only got you £2.50, for a fish that was a year old and immediately on sale for ~£15.

I entirely flooded our local market with both A. borellii and A. trifasciata to the extend that nobody would take them.

You are only going to defray part of the cost of the hobby at best.

I'd strongly recommend keeping fish you like, rather than ones you might be able to sell.

cheers Darrel

My LFS sells them for like 25-30 a pair.
Dont go into it expecting to make much money. They take a little while longer to raise than other dwarfs.
You could try selling on aquabid if you're willing to ship. maybe fore 15-20 a pair on there

wtusa1783

Hi all, Unfortunately there isn't much correlation between what the shop pays you for any fish that they are willing to take and what they charge the customer.

I've bred Hypancistrus L129 in the past and even they only got you £2.50, for a fish that was a year old and immediately on sale for ~£15.

I entirely flooded our local market with both A. borellii and A. trifasciata to the extend that nobody would take them.

You are only going to defray part of the cost of the hobby at best.

I'd strongly recommend keeping fish you like, rather than ones you might be able to sell.

cheers Darrel
They will give me half the value in store credit. I’ve sold to them before.

wtusa1783

My LFS sells them for like 25-30 a pair.
Dont go into it expecting to make much money. They take a little while longer to raise than other dwarfs.
You could try selling on aquabid if you're willing to ship. maybe fore 15-20 a pair on there
I will get half the value in store credit. I’m not trying to make a profit. I’m trying to have fun and maybe not have to spend so much money in this hobby. That’s why I take half store credit instead of 1/4 cash. And I’ve sold to them before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….