• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what are they ?

apisto-nut

5 Year Member
P1010005.jpg

same fish
P1010004.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It looks like 2 different species. The fish with the verical bar-like caudal spot are probably A. sp. Masken/Masked. The others with oval caudal spots are probably A. cf. eunotus, but I would need clearer photos of the fish showing more dark markings to be certain.

apisto-nut

5 Year Member
would that be the reason the wholesaler called them painted face "masken/masked"

anything speical about them ?

are they common , water perams , sexing ?

there is only one with a oval caudal spot , the other 11 look the same

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. sp. Masken was originally imported under the name A. sp. Cara pintada which is Spanish for "colorful/painted face". Cara pintada is rarely used in the hobby anymore because A. sp. Angle-patch/Winkelfleck also has been imported under this name in the past. It appears that they are accurately identified. Masken is also sold under the name A. sp. Apache. Look for photos & information under any of these names.

A. sp. Masken as a subtle beauty with pale blue vertical fins and lots of red face markings on the male. It is not particulary difficult to keep and breed, but does best in slightly acid and moderately soft water.

apisto-nut

5 Year Member
the one that looks like a A.cf.eunotus could it be female orange tail or do you need a better pic.

would stress markings give you a better ID as I could net them and/or one and take pic close to glass ?

Rey82

5 Year Member
By using my reference books I say that the variety of apistos that you have are apisto gossei. I can tell by the bar on its caudal fin and the coloration on the dorsal fin. If you can get your hands on the Aqualog book South American Cichlids II you will find the picture on page 37. Code # S03545-3.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
apisto-nut, I agree with you. It probably is A. cf. eunotus Orangeschwanz/Orange-tail, but I hesitate to say which A. cf. eunotus form it actually is without seeing more photos - particularly one of a male. The latest photos show a male & female of A. sp. Masked/Masken.

Rey82. I do not belive that it is A. gossei for the following reasons:
1. the fish is too deep-bodied for A. gossei.
2. the lateral band is too narrow for A. gossei
3. it is a Peruvian fish, mixed in with A. sp. Masken. A. gossei is from the border of French Guiana & Brazil, 2,500 miles away from Peru.

On another note, don't depend on the IDs in SACII. About 15-25% of the species are mis-identified, although the A. gossei photos in it by Hans Mayland appear to actually show A. gossei.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….