• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What are these?

utoxin

5 Year Member
I picked up 3 of these guys last night at the fish store. They were in a tank marked as blue rams, but clearly they /aren't/ blue rams.

new_cichlid_closeup.jpg

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Electric Blue Jack Dempsey (Rocio octofasciata), the jury still seems to be out as to whether this is a natural colour form or a hybrid.

Andrew

utoxin

5 Year Member
That seems... unlikely, but I suppose it's possible.

These were in the section with the rest of the South American dwarfs, but didn't have a species name.

If you're correct in your id, just how big can I expect these guys to get? I was aiming for small fish. :eek:

Edit: I've found some pictures of juvenile EBJDs, and ... It's a pretty close match. I'm still not convinced, and I'm hoping that ID is wrong, because I REALLY didn't want large aggressive cichlids in this tank. It's supposed to be my south american dwarf theme tank. :/ But, if they /are/ EBJDs, I can probably make some money on them. I got a /steal/, at less than $5 each. :)

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Give it some time and you'll get a few more replies confirming the ID (the fact this forum has a world wide membership means the different time zones will stagger the replies).

Theoretically it is possible you could call it South American as it is reported to have first appeared in Argentina!! Have a look here > http://bluejax.co.uk/default.aspx for some more information on the origins of the EBJD

Andrew

utoxin

5 Year Member
My local fish forum is confirming that ID as well. Looks like I managed to get a screaming deal on a fairly expensive fish.

Now to make up my mind on whether to stick with it, or find someone to trade them to locally. :)

utoxin

5 Year Member
Guess I'm trading them. Already had an offer. 4 blue rams from a local breeder, a male, two females, and a 4th uncertain. He said he's already had two spawnings from them, which is GREAT news for me. :)

I could probably get more for them... but they don't have any intrinsic value for /me/, beyond what I paid for them. And a breeding pair of blue rams /does/, because I LOVE those fish.

Thanks for the ID. :)

supasi

5 Year Member
Over here in New Zealand, you can sell EBJD's for about $70-$90 dollars as they are not that common.

Although I know of a couple of people breeding these so they can offer them at a cheaper price than the wholesalers.

They are a nice fish, shame you moving them on

mf3011

5 Year Member
Wow!

That was a steal! I can only hope I could get so lucky if I ever have the space for those beauties!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….