• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What are these ?

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Looks like sp. "Steel Blue" to me. They're always being sold as something they're not. I bought mine as agassizi. They're thought to be a hybrid from singapore.

Do a search on this forum. Type this exact phrase to search by:
"Steel" AND "Blue"

This should bring up many posts about this.

Michael

F

Frankie

That's a shame.
I was hoping to make my first steps into making baby cichlids, and these are obviously two males.
In fact I've had to move one to my larger tank before it got killed by the other.
So now I'mstuck with a couple of fish which although pretty are also useless to me - Doh !

Neil

Frankie,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Yes, unfortunately you don't have much to work with for breeding. Female are basically non-existant. If there were females available, it is possible that you would not get fry that looked the same as the father anyway, because (in all probability) they are cross between 2 other seperate species.
Maybe you can take them back and get something that you actually can try to breed?!

Neil

F

Frankie

I did think of taking them back, but then figured that its' my own fault for not doing my research !
I don't want to stress the little fellas out any more. The one I've moved to my larger tank is perfectly happy in there - and they are both very pretty fish so they're staying.
I've learned my lesson and in future I will do my research before buying any more fish !!

Which leaves me with a slight problem.
I now have a 24" tank with one male agassizzi and one male steel blue - what on earth will live with them ?!

Also I hadn't thought of keeping apisto's in my larger tank the main occupants of which are a one male steel blue, pair of angels, a silver (bala) shark, a plec and a shoal of glowlight tetras.
Would apistos feel comfortable in this environment ?

Neil

Which leaves me with a slight problem.
I now have a 24" tank with one male agassizzi and one male steel blue - what on earth will live with them ?!

A female agassizii or a female steel blue :D !

Also I hadn't thought of keeping apisto's in my larger tank the main occupants of which are a one male steel blue, pair of angels, a silver (bala) shark, a plec and a shoal of glowlight tetras.
Would apistos feel comfortable in this environment ?

You would be hard-pressed to see any successful breeding in there. The angels and bala shark would probably pick off the fry, if the pleco didn't get to the eggs first. Even keeping a pair in there for general husbandry might not work too well. How is you steel blue doing with his tankmates?

Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamigLag

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(