• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What are these white worms / growths appearing in tank?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Micro worms are a possibility.
Assuming we are talking about the nematode Panagrellus redivivus (or similar species, Banana worms etc)? They aren't, they aren't aquatic, you culture them on damp rolled oats and yeast.

You tend to get visible Hydra when you feed Microworms (or BBS or Vinegar Eels) because they are suitably sized live prey item for the Hydra that are already present in the tank, none of them introduces the Hydra to the tank. Micro/Banana/Walter worms are terrestrial, Brine Shrimps come from hyper-saline lakes and Vinegar Eels from extremely acidic siuations, none of these circumstances supports Hydra.

I've found that I don't have any Hydra for long time periods (several years) in the tanks (I feed some live food every day), and as soon as I see one pretty soon I'll have plenty. I usually get the green Hydra viridissima.

cheers Darrel

gerald

5 Year Member
Agree with DW that cereal-grown worms are not a likely source of Hydra. I wonder if Hydra "spores" survive freezing and might be introduced with frozen bloodworms, glassworms, or plankton harvested from freshwater ponds and frozen without irradiation?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Agree with DW that cereal-grown worms are not a likely source of Hydra. I wonder if Hydra "spores" survive freezing and might be introduced with frozen bloodworms, glassworms, or plankton harvested from freshwater ponds and frozen without irradiation?
I'm not sure Gerald, the <"SkepticalAquarist: Hydra"> suggests that they can't withstand drying, and he is usually a pretty reliable source.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….