• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

WC Parotocinclus Haroldoi medication?

Epos7

A few weeks ago I purchased three parotocinclus haroldoi to add to one of my apisto tanks. I've had them in quarantine and so far they're looking good.

My question is, since they're wild caught, should I treat them with any medication before introducing to their permanent home?

MacZ

I usually say no meds in quarantine unless something shows up. For wild caught fish deworming is not a bad idea, though. Praziquantel OR Levamisole as singular meds are first choice. Not in a combination with something else. Just try to get one of these by itself.

Epos7

I usually say no meds in quarantine unless something shows up. For wild caught fish deworming is not a bad idea, though. Praziquantel OR Levamisole as singular meds are first choice. Not in a combination with something else. Just try to get one of these by itself.

Thanks. I have some Fritz ParaCleanse, however it's Praziquantel with Metronidazole. Looks like Fritz PraziCleanse is the one with just Praziquantel.

MacZ

I know ParaCleanse, as Metronidazole is also an antibiotic, I'd not use it. Wild caught fish (actually any newly moved fish) are especially sensitive to bacteria. If you use it you take away a chance for the fish to get used to the bacteria in your tanks.
What I hate about american companies declaration:
The infosheet says it contains Metronidazole nonetheless. https://fritzaquatics.com/assets/files/uploads/Prazicleanse_Product_Info_Sheet.pdf
The safety sheet doesn't mention it, though. https://fritzaquatics.com/assets/files/uploads/PraziCleanse_SDS_050222.pdf

Definitely the better choice. Still not happy with the metro in it... But you decide. You don't have to do it and if there is no acute reason to medicate you can also leave it.

Epos7

Got some PraziPro. Will do 1-2 treatments then release into main tank once four weeks of quarantine is met.

Epos7

haroldoi.jpg

Tank needs more plant growth, but these little dudes are doing well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….