• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Water too dark?

HookedOnFish_MI

Is there such a thing as too much tannins, or too dark of water? It gets better after I do a water change, but it gets pretty dark each week. I’m fine with it if the fish are ok. I did boil the wood ahead of time too.

MacZ

The fish can do with this, no problem. Do I remember correctly? You only got Anubias and floaters, right? Plants should be fine then, too.

HookedOnFish_MI

The fish can do with this, no problem. Do I remember correctly? You only got Anubias and floaters, right? Plants should be fine then, too.
Thank you. Just anubias, can’t find floaters I like anywhere. Although I did find some nice looking pennywort in the grocery store aquarium section, but I don’t feel good about buying plants from there ;)

MacZ

Why would you? Parasites and pathogens are almost impossible to contract via plants and with a careful choice of sources the plants should be snail-free. I never use chemicals on my tanks (or plants for that matter.)

anewbie

Why would you? Parasites and pathogens are almost impossible to contract via plants and with a careful choice of sources the plants should be snail-free. I never use chemicals on my tanks (or plants for that matter.)
Isn't H2O a chemical ? I'm not suggesting he should treat his plant but i do know a lot of plants from most (all?) sources in the US will frequently carry eggs or small snails. That seems to be the big market for tissue which is guaranteed to be 'pest' free. I personally just live with the snails as they seem to provide more benefit than 'harm'. I have used hydrogen preoxide on plants to treat bba. One of my low tech tank had a serious problem with bba but i think i figured out why and so hopefully that problem is resolved.

MacZ

Isn't H2O a chemical ?
Come on, you know what I mean. :D

You also get snails all the time in Europe. But practices like dipping plants against whatever have not taken a foothold here.

I have limpets in my tank, they are there on purpose. Bigger snails would reproduce uncontrollably with all the leaf litter. But on the other hand... bigger snails wouldn't survive my water.

Tom C

5 Year Member
... can’t find floaters I like anywhere.

Micranthemum umbrosum do well as floater in my blackwater tanks:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

anewbie

Thank you. Just anubias, can’t find floaters I like anywhere. Although I did find some nice looking pennywort in the grocery store aquarium section, but I don’t feel good about buying plants from there ;)
If you are in USA I could send you some frogbit and red root floaters - maybe a few water lettuce. You'd have to wait a couple of weeks as I just did a massive prune so need a bit of time to regrow - also there might be some bits of duckweed in it that you might or might not want. Anyway just pm me an address and I'll let you know when it is in the mail. Conversely if you are not in the us I will be unwilling to ship. Hum. I also have some hornworh if you want to float that. My tanks have some snails - mostly trumpet so i can't promise no snail eggs.

Samala

Although I did find some nice looking pennywort in the grocery store aquarium section, but I don’t feel good about buying plants from there ;)

Little red flag going up for me. "Pennywort" on a grocery store plant label is not likely to be the same "Pennywort" we'd use in aquariums.

There is a "pennywort", Centella asiatica, that is available sometimes as a house plant and has wide applications as a medicinal herb. Also called "gotu kola". It's a wetland plant so I'm sure it'd do well as a floater or semi-submerged, however, I'm not sure whether I'd try it. The plant has medicinal applications because of high loads of saponins / triterpenoids. In a large volume of water that probably isn't so bad, but I'd probably run a test / trial first. Unless you can find other hobbyists who've used it without problems, of course.

The grocery store source also seems risky to me. In the US commercial growers regularly treat plants to reduce pests in greenhouse and growing conditions. If I were going this route I'd grow the plant out for a month or two and only use / transfer new growth.

It's totally possible that the pennywort you found is a Hydrocotyle sp. member, like Brazillian pennywort that is used widely in the hobby (usually H. leucocephala), but there are several Hydrocotyle species in the US, especially in the southeastern US, that are considered pests in lawns (we call them "dollar weed" in Florida). They wouldn't have much of a market as a houseplant and I don't think I've ever seen them available.

Maybe take a photo next time you see it and we can try to identify?

MacZ

Little trick: Don't plant them in the substrate, just anchor them to the driftwood and let them grow. The closer they can start to the surface the more light they get and the faster they reach atmospheric CO2, at which point they usually explode in their growth.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….