• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

water parameters and apisto?

nir_tza

5 Year Member
Hey!
I have a question for you..
I can get these water parameters:
1- pH-5.18, EC-222, TDS-111
2- pH-5.29, EC-167, TDS-84
3- pH-5.48, EC-127, TDS-63
4- pH-5.64, EC-85, TDS-42
5- pH-5.67, EC-57, TDS-28
What apisto's can i put in each?
Thanks!
Nir

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
Hi Nir,
How did you get those water?
Generally you can grow and breed many kind of Apistos in these ranges, therefore I think it should be more simple if you could mention the species you are interested keeping and then we can give you the right parameters for them.

Moreover, if you own a R/O system you could change and regulate the hardness and buffer (TDS and even a bit of the pH) of the desired values so they could match your needs. After that, you can even lower the pH in some ways according to the requirements...

nir_tza

5 Year Member
I got these water by mixing r/o water with peat filtered tap water in different ratios from 50%-90% r/o

for now I am interested in agasizii, but will want more sp.

what ways to lower the pH?

nir_tza

5 Year Member
the water parameters changed over night the new ones:
1- pH-5.39, EC-220, TDS-110
2- pH-5.55, EC-164, TDS-28
3- pH-6.10, EC-126, TDS-63
4- pH-6.79, EC-84, TDS-42
5- pH-6.85, EC-57, TDS28
Thanks.

koty

5 Year Member
I got these water by mixing r/o water with peat filtered tap water in different ratios from 50%-90% r/o

for now I am interested in agasizii, but will want more sp.

what ways to lower the pH?

Filtering Israeli tap water through peat is not a good idea. The peat soluble acids are efficiently precipitated by the Ca and Mg in the water.

when you talk about parameters you should give the units for EC: Is it micro or milli sim?
the parameter you give indicate that you have the conductivity apparatus but as important is to know the parameters such as GH and the levels of nitrogenous compounds (NH3, NO2, NO3). Nitrogen oxidation in strong acidic water is said to be a major problem. You need to have it in mind when thinking about your filtration and when you are feeding your fish.

nir_tza

5 Year Member
sorry about the units..
its ec - micro simens , tds - ppm
as far as my tests , there are no NH4 / NO2 present in the water.

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
Nir, are these the water parmaters from 5 different aquariums? If so how long they are running in these values? Did all of them fully complete the cycle?...

nir_tza

5 Year Member
yes it is 5 different aquariums, it is an experiment i am doing with mixed ratios of peat water and r/o water. its without fish, just water and an airstone. what cycle?

STOKER

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike

At least you have confirmed that these water parameters are only any use as a water change and that changes happen once the tank is "LOADED"
This seems to not been taken into consideration.

Mike :) :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarenSet

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(