• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Viejita Acting Strange

Hippie_Cichlid

I have a pair of viejita apistos that I've had since September. They've been doing their mating dance for months but in the past few days the female has been much more subdued (not chasing the dither fish, mellow, etc), and laying on the gravel. She still responds to food and when I approach the tank she will investigate. The male has been a bit more aggressive, but otherwise normal. Their colors are also normal in both fish.

I have a heavily planted tank with plenty of areas to hide in, including a cave for them. I also have cherry shrimp for them to have the fry. I also have purple rasboras, minnows, 2 striped danios (cause I couldn't catch them), and recently (2 weeks ago) added a pleco. None of these fish are expressing any stress or illness.

I've tested the water for nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and ph, all are within normal levels. I did a 10% water change today.

Does anyone know if this behavior is normal? Or have any advice/suggestions. I've added a picture of this behavior, the female is on the left and the male on the right.

Attachments

• FemaleApisto_20160112.jpg
    FemaleApisto_20160112.jpg
    893.8 KB · Views: 363

gerald

5 Year Member
First, those are macmasteri, not viejita. Nearly all pet shops and even many breeders sell macmasteri as "viejita". Laying on the gravel is not a good sign; she may be sick. Watch out for faster-than-normal breathing, excess mucus in her feces (stringy white poo), abdominal bloating, and signs of lumps or sores on the head or body. Good luck - i hope she recovers.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If she is still eating I'd soak her favorite food in a good broad-spectrum antibiotic and feed it to her. Now is a good time to move her to a hospital/quarantine tank.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….