• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Very quick death :(

ProF_FR

5 Year Member
Hi,

I just lost an A . cf Agassizii "tefe" with strange symptoms.

This went very quick :

evening : the fish is ok

morning : the fish is a bit scared, eats normally at noon

evening : he becomes black and hides, try to eat but sem not able to swallow normal preys, only smaller ones.

morning : the fish is hiding more, has difficulties to swimm

noon : he can't maintain the correct position

evening : he's on his back, barely breath, he died during the nite.

This is the second time i see such a quick death ( first one was several years ago with an A. baenschi). Each time their female was totally ok... the fish wasn't old and i'm sure of the person i got it from, the fish aclimated well in that tank, i got it 2 weeks ago and since he was splendid and in good health.

Any idea on what can cause this ? Any idea on how i could help when i see the first signs ? ( if i can)

ProF

fishgeek

I dont see any specific clnical signs in your observations
just general "i'm not feeling well" signs

Though for some reason reading the post i thought neuro issue's , which would either be toxin(i would expect more fish to show similar signs)parasitic and bacterial options for mennigitis type issue's

the last days signs are just what i describe as "hanging" ie the fish is weakened and cant swim , i see this in all fish close to death irrespective of the cause

you have nothing to lose by attempting a post mortem

ProF_FR

5 Year Member
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

Theres only the pair in the tank and a young L. both the female and the L are in good health.

I'm not sure i understood : "attempting a post mortem" , i have a big lack of vocabulary sorry :wink:

ProF

T

tkd.teacher

ProF_FR said:
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

Theres only the pair in the tank and a young L. both the female and the L are in good health.

I'm not sure i understood : "attempting a post mortem" , i have a big lack of vocabulary sorry :wink:

ProF

He means to take the dead fish and carefully cut it open to see if you can find any obvious signs of parasites, worms, etc.

How is your water chemistry? Did your wife/girlfriend clean the glass? :D

My wife, when she lived with a roommate, couldn't keep a betta alive to save her life. Turns out her roommate was spraying air freshener all around the room every day, and it was drifting into the betta bowl and killing them. :eek:

John

ProF_FR

5 Year Member
Hi,

Thanks for the explanations.

I did not do this because i'm not sure i could see anything and i throw the dead fish in garbage ...

Today the fishes in that tank are still ok ... well its not that often my fish die so i'll try to forget that

ProF

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvashave

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….