• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vater change and vacuuming during spawning

Neil

mordor,
I try to avoid any heavy cleaning while eggs are present because you never know what factor will insight parents to eat their eggs. That said, I think it is totally fine to do a careful water change, not vac., in your tank. I do scheduled water changes whether there is eggs, wigglers or whatever. I just try to be a little more careful.
There is nothing that benefits the development of eggs or fish like clean water.
Neil

mordor

5 Year Member
I had changed water and next morning she was still guarding the eggs. Assuming that they spawned on Saturday afternoon eggs should hatch soon :roll:

aspen

5 Year Member
i clean fry tanks with a 1/4" syphon. take a piece of 1/4" rigid tube and slip a piece of 1/4" flexible tube over it. you will get onto all of the tight spots and if you pick up any fry, you will be able to see them. i also syphon fresh water back in slowly with this syphon. it works great.

rick

Neil

Yep! They should hatch today. If they do you are 50% there. In about 5 more days, hopefully, you will have a little cloud of baby Apistogramma swimming around, being gaurded by their parents. Gotta love it! :D

mordor

5 Year Member
This pair of apisto is cursed 8O I came from work yesterday and all eggs were covered with fungus :( I rushed to PetSmart but they do not have methylene blue which I heard would be safe for eggs. All anti-fungus medications they have contain methylene blue but also some antibiotic - furazonidole so I guess they would not be safe. I think that's it I will take out driftwood with eggs and boil it to kill fungus.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Mordor...one of the bigger problems of artifical hatching is egg fungus. Without the parent(s) constantly fanning them, minute particals can settle on the eggs, one infertile egg starts to rot, etc. and then it can pretty much be all over at that point. Meth blue works good for me, but I have it in the tank before the egs go in. Once the fungus gets started, it is almost impossible to stop. Another trick, that I used mainly with angelfish, is to position whatever they spawned on (slate, leaf, etc.) so that the eggs faced down. Then I hooked up an airstone and gently let the bubbles run up the eggs. Pretty much has the same effect as the parents fanning the eggs.

mordor

5 Year Member
My female was probably as much suprised as I. She did not remove those eggs and fangus spread all over. I ordered methylene blue online - PetSmart does not know what it is :evil:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….