• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

urgent macmasteri help

yashua

5 Year Member
i have a pair of macs in a 20g with 8 white cloud minnows.nitrates 20,nitrites o,amm 0,80gh,130kh and ph is 7.6.the male and the others are fine ,she spawned about a month ago,but ate her eggs .theyve been in there about a month and a half,same water parameters,i do 35-45% once a week.she started have stringy white feces,so i did a w/c and added epsom salt,waited three days,did another w/c.that was two weeks ago.she is always out and about flaring at him and the minnows,but i never see her eat and she always thick poop now.she goes to the top at fedding but never eats,sometimes shell mouth the food and spit it out if anything at all.please help.thanks

fishgeek

common question

the most correct answer is that the white stringy nature of the stool is due to mucous being secreted in response to irritation along the gastrointestinal tract
this can be due to protozoa, nematodes,cestodes,bacteria and probably other things

the reason for not eating and/or spitting food is belly pain associated with conditon

the way to asses the cause is to look at a feacal sample with a microscope and identify the causal agent

most answers i have seen on the internet (it isnt a reliable source imo) would suggest that the situation you are seeing is a protozoan one and that metronidazol is appropriate treatment

if you can get metronidazol i would try and treat the female asap at 25mgs/litre in water
and add to any feed you can get the fish to take, i usually mix with fish oil and allow white worms to crawl in for a few minutes before feeding the coated worms
again internet suggestion that waterlife's protozin maybe metronidazol or at least effective in same instances so maybe if is available then use as directions on bottle suggest

where are you located ?
the fish need urgernt attention to correct the problem , so prehaps you can list all medications so we can try to help more

andrew

yashua

5 Year Member
thanks for the quick reply,i am in northern arizona.flagstaff.so let me get this right i need to treat some food with metronidozol or use waterlifes protozoin as the bottle suggets?she i seperate her?or treat the whole tank?she is with a male who eats like a pig,and 8 white cloud minnows.thanks,i will not be able to get any meds at least till day after tommorow.(long work hours).this whole deal has went on for about two weeks.thanks again

fishgeek

the longer it has been an issue the more need to prophylatically treat the other fish
metronidazol can be used in water, though effectiveness maybe questionable, i believe it does still work

in america i believe there are many aquarium versions of metronidazol
metrozol, general cure and paragon II all do i believe

andrew

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….