• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unsure on Behaviour - Aggression or Courting?

Aaroon

I wonder if anyone can help me out. I have a juvenile pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides. I'm 99% I have a female and a male. The difference between them is pretty apparent. I'm noticing that the female is out and about much more than my male. And whenever the male comes out the female will shake her caudal (Had to Google that) fin at the male and then chase him off. Thankfully I have two tanks so I out the female into the other tank for a couple of days to see if the male would come out. He did, but she's back in that tank with him now as I got myself a pair of MacMasteri' Is this aggression or some sort of courting?

MacZ

Courting followed by aggression as he didn't give into her advances.
Are you planning on breeding? If so you could have left them together. If not separation was the right decision.

Please keep in mind that domestic breeds of both A. cacatuoides and A. macmasteri are nowerdays of bad genetics and it takes luck to get rid of all of the offspring without months of advertising them everywhere.

He did, but she's back in that tank with him now as I got myself a pair of MacMasteri'
Separate tanks, yes?

Another thing: Both species don't form bonded pairs but usually the male is not involved in raising the fry. Once the eggs are fertilized the males have a bullseye on them and get a lot of the female's aggression. Not always but in most cases.

Aaroon

Hi MacZ,

Thank you for the reply.

I have attached some pictures. First one is what I suspect to be the female. Ans the second (sorry the picture isn't great) is my male. Or at least I think I've attached them. Do let me know if you can't see any

I wouldn't be apposed to them breeding.

The male and female are back in the same tank, and the female has returned to the behaviour I mentioned.

Attachments

• 20230430_132605.jpg
    20230430_132605.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 91
  • 20230430_112901.jpg
    20230430_112901.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 94

MacZ

The female is indeed IDed correctly. The second fish... I have to pass. Can't tell from that picture. The dorsal fin is cut off by the waterline, so the important part isn't visible. Also the caudal is damaged lacking the (not always telltale) shape. The fact the fish is close to the surface is not a good sign.
What size is the tank? (dimensions, not volume, please.)

Aaroon

I'll try get a better picture.

Yeah I noticed the damage and that's what urged me to move the female.

with regards to the fish being close to the surface. I was mid way through a water change. And in an attempt to get some pictures I put a bit of food in. The picture was taken as the fish was eating. Shortly after that picture was taken the female chased him away.

40Wx30Dx30H

Heavily planted with live plants and plenty of little knooks and hiding places.

Aaroon

That's in centimetres

I've attached a picture of the tank for reference. And managed to get some better pictures of the male.

Attachments

• 20230430_163724.jpg
    20230430_163724.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 124
  • 20230430_164019.jpg
    20230430_164019.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 125
  • 20230430_164023.jpg
    20230430_164023.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 131

Eddy. E.

It looks nice, but it is anything but heavily planted. Rather sparsely planted with clearly too little cover. Imho, it's more of a scaping design and a past-the-fish kind of thing.

MacZ

I agree. It looks nice as a scape but it's by no means suitable for dwarf cichlids.

Aaroon

Rather small tank for A. cacatuoides I'm sorry to say.
My plan was to keep them in while they're small, then move them to my new tank that is currently being scaped.

Appreciate the concern, but I've got it planned.

Are yoh able to offer any help on my original question/thread topic?

Aaroon

I agree. It looks nice as a scape but it's by no means suitable for dwarf cichlids.

As I said above. My plan is to use it whilst they're small and move into a new tank I'm setting up.

Are you able to advise further on the behaviour?

MacZ

My only advise is separating or moving them to a suitable (size, structure, plants) tank ASAP. The reveal of the tank has shown that it's mostly the crammed space and lack of sight blocks.
You're not aware how dire the situation presents now, it seems.

The fish might seem small, the behaviour says they're mature enough to be territorial. And in a tank like this that means death for one of them.

Aaroon

My only advise is separating or moving them to a suitable (size, structure, plants) tank ASAP. The reveal of the tank has shown that it's mostly the crammed space and lack of sight blocks.
You're not aware how dire the situation presents now, it seems.

The fish might seem small, the behaviour says they're mature enough to be territorial. And in a tank like this that means death for one of them.

Oh, wow, okay.

That changes things. Thank you for your help. I'm going to return the female and I will endeavour to cycle my large tank.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….