• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

unknown aggies

farm41

5 Year Member
I brought home a male aggie several months ago, lfs only had the male and it was very nice looking. About a 2 months ago the lfs finally got a female, and I brought it home.

Just this morning I was reading the Romer atlas and it warned to not breed aggies from "different imports".

Does this apply to tank raised fish from unknown origins? How would I know if they are the same or from "different imports"?

Randall

5 Year Member
Differing A. agassizii strains

Dear Farm41,

What is your name, anyway?

Are your agassizii wild or tank raised?

Randall Kohn

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Farm, I think most people recommend not mixing the different locations/color morphs of wild aggies because they are not sure 100% sure that all aggie morphs are actually aggies and not seperate species/sub-species. I believe they almost ruined the Tefe at one time by getting it mixed up with a few other forms (Apistogramma aggassizzii 'Tefe' and Apistogramma sp. 'Tefe'). Don't quote me on that tho..but it jumped into my head from somewhere, I believe I heard Mike Wise and Oliver Lucanus discusing it at the ACA in Jersey.

Discus Man

5 Year Member
There are a couple of agazizzi that look so different from other agazzizi that side by side they do not look like the same fish.
Tail structure is a very notable difference. The classic V tail can be lost and round tails produced if you mix a vtail and a rounder tail.
If your agazizzi are from unknown origin and you do breed them, don't put a name on the end. Just sell them as agazzizi. It heps us buyers.
TIA

farm41

5 Year Member
The female still doesn't seem too interested, but the male keeps chasing her. Maybe they aren't enough alike.

Thanks for the replies

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….