• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

unexpected spawn

Mizu

5 Year Member
Hello fellow apisto lovers. Last year I had bought a pair of agassizi double red that only spawn once before the male died from probably a parasite and the female got sucked by the filter. Thankfully, I was able to raise about 30 frys of theirs.

Now they are nice little fellows and to my great surprise, I have a double spawn. Funny thing, I wasn't even trying to breed them yet.

The eggs hatched today and they mothers are guarding the the nest closely. Will there be any problem once they are free swimmers? The two nests are relatively close to each other in a 15 gallon with 12 other aggies.

I have a 10 gal setting up and should be ready soon. Only problem is that I don't want to disturb the tank and cause stress to the females.

So far, everyone is getting along and no fights happened. None of the other inhabitants have show any "taste" for the eggs and wigglers. I hope that this will be a successful brood.

here some pictures of one of the nests for you enjoyment

wigglers
DSCF4407.jpg

gurading the eggs
DSCF4404.jpg

DSCF4401.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
All I can say is good luck. 12 (or is it 15?) aggies in a 15 is extremely crowded for a tank. Expecting many fry to survive in unlikely. I would suggest that you start taking water from the 15 and adding it to the 10. Once the fry appear, I would siphon out as many as possible to the 10. The 10, however, won't hold them for more than a couple of weeks before it becomes crowded, too.

Mizu

5 Year Member
Thanks for the tip. They are at the free swimmer stage. I need more tanks :)

Mizu

5 Year Member
I might be the most lucky or unlucky. A third female decided to lay eggs in between the territories of the two females guarding their young. :eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….