• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Triple Reds

Norman Fenske

Yesterday was interesting I was feeding my fish and I noticed spawning behavior with one of the prs of Triple Reds I have. The past few days it looked like the male was trying to impress the female and yesterday it looked like they were spawning. I have 90 degree PVC elbows 3/4" ID Dia. the female would go in followed by the male then the you could make out the male doing something ( I would imagine fertilizing the eggs ) then leave this was repeated several times. Now the female stays in the elbow with the male standing by. Pretty neat.

Norman Fenske

To confirm what I thought I took a closer look and yes there are eggs. As it stands right now both prs of Triple Reds have eggs!!. The 1st pair of Triple Reds the Female laid the eggs in a flower pot the 2nd pair in the PVC elbow. Once the water is to their liking the rest is easy!!

yukondog

5 Year Member
Down here the water is soft and slightly acidic, that's great on the eggs. I need to get a male for my female.

Norman Fenske

Good news and bad news first the bad I witnessed a 1pr of my Triple Reds spawning the female is guarding her eggs the bad news she must of killed the male. The good news the other pr of triple reds have fry!! I was feeding them this morning looked in flower pot no eggs saw the female on the other side closely guarding an area and finally saw the fry very small. So progress.

yukondog

5 Year Member
The one thing I have seen with a pair [at least mine] is that when there is eggs or fry the female will have nothing to with the male and does not want him in the tank, what size tank do you have them in, the now lone female?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….