• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

treating dropsy

blueblue

5 Year Member
My Ap sp. Harlequin and Ap sp. Maulbruter male fish recently
got the "dropsy"... i am very upset now...
i am using Waterlife's Octozin to treat them...
it's the second day of treatment but they still seem to be very
sick... in my previous experience, 99% of fish will die after infecting
dropsy... (i only saved a fish's life years ago by a mix of various
medicine by chance!!) anyhow, may some friends here share some tips with me? Or, are there some very effective medicine to recommend to me??
Thanks so much...

Tea

5 Year Member
Dropsy

Hello Blue, Ime I have successfully treated some apistos with a daily water change, make sure to use water that has been treated and aerated over night. Hope this helps..

fishgeek

dropsy(sorry i feel a rant coming) is a clinical picture - ie it is a word used to describe a particular set of physical characteristics seen in fish

my ranting wont change it from being used as a diagnosis

dropsy or the pinecone appearance can be due to
1 abdominal distension with fluid accumulation in the abdominal cavity(ascites), space occupying internal masses or gaseous fermenting abdominal lesions
2 odeama (fluid accumulation)in the skin

both the ascites or skin odeam may be due to underlying osmoregulatory failure(often kidney disease,or gills or liver or heart)

because the cause is many and varied and invaribaly not determined treatments often fail
perhaps antibiotics may beeffective though treatment is often frustrating

by the way what is your avatar blue?

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
The only time I've managed to cure fish of dropsy was with massive daily water changes. In my experience the 'cures' available in pet shops are useless.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….