• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tips for Apisto planted tank

anewbie

It is a narrow leaf (italia val) in the white tank. There are 7 or 8 different variety (perhaps more?); they all grow long (as far as I can tell there is no limit to length) but they differ in width of the leaves and perhaps colour - there is a jungle val that is 2 to 3 times wider and there are some spiral species that twist as they grow. When the plant grows (and it does not always grow well) it can become a bit of a weed as it will frequently send out runners. You can control the length somewhat by cutting the leaves - they seem to keep growing after cut; but the runners you have to pull. I think there are better plants if your tank will support them. I've become some what fond of PSO (Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus) because it tends to be low maint (though you need to cut it to keep it at a desired height); and if you allow it to grow above the water line will produce a lovely purple flower. For the purist one large disadvantage of PSO is that it is not a SA plant.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
..... they all grow long (as far as I can tell there is no limit to length) but they differ in width of the leaves and perhaps colour ........ When the plant grows (and it does not always grow well) it can become a bit of a weed as it will frequently send out runners. ............
I've never had much luck with Vallisneria spp. in my Apistogramma tanks. I think the problem is lack of water hardness, rather than lack of nutrients, because it grows fine in our tap water, which is also low in nutrients, but about 17dKH / 17dGH.

Soft water <"Bolbitis heudelotii grows well for me">. Have a look at <"Plants and substrate"> and <"Best Plants..........">.

cheers Darrel

anewbie

Hi all,

I've never had much luck with Vallisneria spp. in my Apistogramma tanks. I think the problem is lack of water hardness, rather than lack of nutrients, because it grows fine in our tap water, which is also low in nutrients, but about 17dKH / 17dGH.

Soft water <"Bolbitis heudelotii grows well for me">. Have a look at <"Plants and substrate"> and <"Best Plants..........">.

cheers Darrel
My water is probably harder than your apisto tank but it is not nearly has hard as your tap water at kh 3 and gh 7; I've heard people having success with val in tank with kh 1 and gh 2; but obviously with black/clear water where the kh is 0-1 and gh is near 0 things might be more difficult. I will have a chance to experiment next year when i setup my low ph tank ;)

Btw i do not know if val is sensitive to ph.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….