• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tilapia Brevimanus

Skiploder

5 Year Member
My LFS got a shipment of these in some time ago. They were intially placed in a 125 gallon planted in-store tank that had serious hair and brush algae problems. Within about a month, the brevimanus had done an admirable job of completely ridding the tank of algae.

Last time I was in the store, a customer informed me that he had similar experiences with the fish.

Has anybody had similar results with this fish? All fish in the tank were juveniles and roughly 3 to 4 inches in length.

I would also appreciate it if anyone (ahem - Randall) could supply me with any other information pertinent to the husbandry of this tilapia.

Thanks in advance.

Randall

5 Year Member
Hello Skiploder,

It's ahem - Randall.

We don't see Tilapia (Pelmatolapia) brevimanus in the hobby very much. It's from coastal rivers in Guinea Bissau, Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia and grows to about 8.5-9". Like the other Tilapia, it's a pair-bonding open substrate spawner.

Most Tilapia spp. are herbivores, so it doesn't surprise me that the T. brevimanus rid their tank of algae.

Take care.

Randall Kohn

Skiploder

5 Year Member
Randall:

Thanks for the quick reply. I spoke to the LFS. They apparently got the T. Brevimanus from the local Aquarium.

I'll probably pick up a male and a couple of females tomorrow and see if a pair forms in my 125 gallon tank.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(