• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

This Is Just Wrong

Randall

5 Year Member
Dyed Cichlid Hybrids

Dear Sam and Rick,

From what I understand, the cichlid hybrids depicted in the link are placed in vats containing dye when they are fry. As they develop and grow, the dye is absorbed. In the home aquarium, however, the dye fades over time as the fish continue to mature, leaving the them devoid of natural pigmentation.

Pretty sick, isn't it?

Thanks for reading.

Randall Kohn

Ghazanfar Ghori

5 Year Member
I hear now there are convict x parrot hybrids? Its really up to the LFS.
If they carry such fish - people will buy them and the cycle continues.

Woodsy

5 Year Member
Some of the coloured cory's and barbs that are availible are also coloured by injection of dye directly into their tails and other sections of their bodies too. It is sick if you ask me.

jonah

5 Year Member
I checked out Keller Farms while we were down for the TCA, but the only freak fish I saw were parrots, everything else seemed good. My buddy picked up some caucatoides while we were there. The problem with dyed fish/hybrids is that people want the stuff in the first place. The stores wouldn't sell them if nobody was buying them.

I bought a pair of pike cichlids, 5 demasoni and 4 Lamprologus cylindricus at the TCA auction.

Sam

5 Year Member
TCA Show

There were no Westies there except one male krib. I was pretty disapointed. There were two nice pairs of Gymnogeophagus though. Unless you were into small Tanganyikans, there wasn't much action at the auction. I didn't check out Keller Farms, because I had to get back to Central Texas, and Ft Worth is in the wrong direction.Maybe next year.

I saw the pikes, they looked nice.

jonah

5 Year Member
I was disappointed too by the lack of west Africans at the auction. I bought a pair of Pel. rollofi at the KC auction in April, but lost the male during the first week. I nearly brought the female down to sell. I'll probably be bringing down a bunch of mbuna, haps and some adult male apistos (borellii, steindachneri and nijseni) for the October auction.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….