• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

the real (hemichromis lifalili) wanted

Chugger

5 Year Member
I have been looking for the past couple of months with no luck, if they have them they say there not sure if they are the real thing and those who know, for sure what they are, say they haven't been able to get them for awhile,if anyone has any please let me buy some,i'm also looking for the hemichromis cristatus,thanks for any help you can give me.

Neil

Chugger,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

There was someone not too far from me that had bred lifalili not too long ago. Unfortunately I can't remember who or how to find out. If they start showing up locally, I will let you know.
Neil

Moi_Eater

5 Year Member
Hemichromis lifalili

Hello Chugger,

I have Hemichromis lifalili fry that are about a month old right now. I bought two pairs off of Aquabid. The seller's id is fish_addict. You could email him and see if he has any more available. If he doesn't have any and/or you can't find any close to your area let me know.

Chugger

5 Year Member
Thanks i saw the guy on aquabid, and thought i found my fish, but someone outbid, in the last two mins of the auction. i know jeff rapps gets them in some time,but he just hasn't got them in this springor summer yet

Randall

5 Year Member
Hemichromis lifalili

Dear Chugger,

H. lifalili are quite common in the hobby, so you should be able to locate them in time. Perhaps your local retailer can help you? They are generally available from Germany on a Euro-tranship basis, and Atlantis Tropical Fish in Gardiner, NY, usually carries them.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Chugger

5 Year Member
they are common but when i see the fish in the lfs there half breeds, i'm going to try to order them from thatfishplace they say they have them in,so i'll give it a try,i also have been looking for hemichromis cristatus for a long time i got one by mistake in a oder and loved the color.so if you know anyone with them let me know, thanks for all the help.

Randall

5 Year Member
Hemichromis lifalili & cristatus

Dear Chugger,

Hemichromis lifalili and H. guttatus are frequently confused. I think the confusion stems from a very red looking commercially bred variety of H. guttatus. Subadult fish are commonly available in shops and are very difficult to distinguish from one another. There are a few points of distinction, however.

Even juvenile H. lifalili will exhibit a more intense patterning of iridescent blue spangling on the flanks and fins than H. guttatus. With more mature specimens, we can look to the midlateral blotch. H. lifalili exhibits a more round blotch surrounded by a light colored margin. H. guttatus, on the other hand, exhibits a more oval shaped blotch that sometimes extends both dorsally and ventrally. Of course, with juveniles these characterics are not as pronounced as with more mature fish.

The Nigerian form of Hemichromis cristatus is available in the hobby, while the form known from Guinea, Sierra Leone and Ghana is quite rare. I've never seen it. Perhaps your local retailer can help you with the Nigerian form.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Chugger

5 Year Member
see,you know alot more about these fish, than i do, i know that the lifalili,is a more round fish then the common jewels, and as for the cristatus,the one i had had more of a red color two it and more blue spec,but you could still tell it was a cristatus, i saw one pic on the net like that one, but most of the pics i see they are more orange,with few blue specs, could you turn me on to any good books, i already have the west african cichlid,book but i would like to read up more on them.

Randall

5 Year Member
Hemichromis cristatus

Dear Chugger,

Compared to some of the other Hemichromis species, cristatus is a no brainer. It is the only species where the midlateral blotch is surrounded or ocellated by a wide yellow margin, and the iridescent blue dots on the flanks are arranged in horizontal rows. When both of these characteristics are exhibited, you have H. cristatus for sure.

As for coloration, H. cristatus varies from orange to orange-red to orange-maroon, depending on whether the fish are sexually active or not and diet.

Unfortunately, the only good hobbyist reference is the one you already have, Linke & Staeck's book. Since that book was published in 1994, we now have four new undescribed Hemichromis forms, one more beautiful than the other. Please watch out for Dr. Lamboj's English language book due out of press in 2004. It will cover all of the West & Central African cichlids.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Chugger

5 Year Member
Thanks, could you let me know when the book is out,and if you hear of anyone selling colorful types of hemichromis,who will ship.

M

Menaceman

Re : Lifalili Jewels

I'm not sure if you're in the Jersey area. But Exotic Aquatics in Jersey City
has had a couple of tanks full of Lifalili Jewels for over a year now. They have a couple of breeding pairs that keep churning out fry. I have a pair
that is about to breed. If your interested I'll be glad to give you a bunch
of the fry.

As far as Cristatus. Last time I saw them was at Pet Shanty in Scotch Plains. Doug the fish room manager can probably get you some on a special order. ( This guy gets anything. )

Blackshark667766

5 Year Member
Re: Hemichromis lifalili

Randall said:
Dear Chugger,

['Nuff said - oh bother :!: guttatus/lifallil equation again. I'm staying out of this. If Randall can't help you, then nobody can. Never give up hope - something usually turns up - if only just in time :!:

Nick /quote]

chugger 2

Hemichromis lifalili

Hello Chugger,

I have Hemichromis lifalili fry that are about a month old right now. I bought two pairs off of Aquabid. The seller's id is fish_addict. You could email him and see if he has any more available. If he doesn't have any and/or you can't find any close to your area let me know.
Hey, just got my yanks back up, are you still breeding hemichromis?

MacZ

The thread is almost 20 years old, and the person you're asking hasn't been online since 2005. I doubt you'll get an answer.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….