• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The best Ick Cure I've found so far. Some recommendations.

ancientaquarist

5 Year Member
Dear All- I have four tanks now and had a ghastly experience with UPS on the first fish I've ever had shipped-they finally arrived 48 hours late with the water in their bags in the 60's. Two maroniis were dead on arrival and several more fishes died during the next 30 hours. The third day they were here I found all the remaining maroniis and all the cardinal
tetras literally coated with ick.

I called my LFS (which isn't local) which is as 56 mile round trip. They recommended Jungle brand "Ick Guard." My 150 required more than one
bottle each day but in 4 days the cardinals had died but the maroniis were
as clean as a whistle. I've waited three days and there is no sign of reccurance so today I will do and 25% water change.

Later that week I bought the most beautiful wild M. ramirezi (male) and he went into the 29 gal ommunity. By the next day he was covered with
ick-covered. I used the ick guard three days and by day 3 he was clean and it never spread.

When my lost shipment arrived it included a pair of Dicrosus punctulatus.
The smaller which has turned out to be the female had the barest stump of
a tail and rot on her dorsal fin. I isolated her and treated with Melofix
and she is perfect now and back with the male.

I wanted to share a miracle cure with you. When my P. pulchers spawned
in the 29 community I came in one day to find that a Pristella maxillaris
had his lower portion torn off. His swim bladder was also injured and when he tried to eat the food fell out a hole where his throat had been torn
open. 42 years ago I would have immediately euthanased this fish but I
was anxious to see if Melofix could possibly help this undoubtedly innocent
little characin.

In two days the hole in his throat was healed and he could eat but still swam with difficulty. One week later here was a completely healed and
regenerated pristella. He's immediately recognizable because all the new
skin which formed is like a shiney mirror versus the other four. I have
never witnessed a fish so badly wounded make a recovery-I am now a
firm believer in Melofix for bacterial problems and would never use any
other product for ick-Ick Guard which contains victoria green, nitromersol,
and acriflavine. None of the plants in my heavily aquascaped 150 were
damaged in any way-nor in the 29 community.

I now have a fry raising tank set up and a quarantine tank. Since I swore to myself two tanks ONLY space now forces me to stop. But I am enjoying
these community tanks with all these dwarf cichlids breeding in them. Alas the kribs raised 37 but the 250 two day old curviceps were all devoured while a rogue male was fighting with both parents. They were
eaten by P. pulcher and especially Dicrosus punctulatus-the latter also got
all my week old Etroplus fry.

The large (huge) A. caca triple red would eat one or two every five minutes and the Victorian 'Rock Krib' female would join him. Good news and bad news-that's life, isn't it---"nature red in tooth and claw."

Best regards.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….