• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

teleocichla cinderella

element

5 Year Member
I'm with ya i've heard that they are regularly imported at this point but i'd bet they all go to europe and japan because americans won't pay the high prices for comparitively "plain" fish but i'd love to get my hands on a couple pairs . I know jeff rapps has had them before and he told me he may get more in the coming months so keep an eye on his website tangledupincichlids.com he keeps an updated stocklist w/prices.

Z Man

5 Year Member
Just to let you both know that this genus needs a lot of room. And they are pretty expensive. I had a few pairs at different times in a java moss stocked 30 breeder and she found the he every time and killed him. I went through about 4 pairs at different times with no luck at all. Hope you guys do better than I did.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apisto ranch

Is it just me are did he call Americans cheap??

The old addage is true: 'If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, there is a good chance that it is a duck!' I find that too many of us Amercans do not know the difference between 'inexpensive' & 'cheap'. They are not the same!

Why not ask Blue Blue what he pays for some of his rarer apistos that almost never appear in the US market, like A. paucisquamis. Then ask yourself, "How many people do I know who will pay that price for a 2" fish?" To me they certainly are worth the money asked for them, but I know that I personally cannot afford such prices.

The soap box is now open for other speakers.

element

5 Year Member
It's an irifutible fact that most of the rare , new , or just plain expensive fish are exported to europe and asia because the market for such fish in the U.S. is just not there. I personally would pay the extra money to try my hand at breeding and keeping the more expensive species, and I'm sure most of the people on this forum would but there is a reason that you dont see many apistos at your lfs. most of america wants a gaudy tank with kissing gouramies or piranhas.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
My local fish store just had a few of these in, I got there about 3-4 days too late. All that was left was a single individual. Someone else beat me to them I was told! And they weren't too expensive either, $25 I think? I would have setup a tank real fast for some of those. I will be on the look out for more. Have to be patient, I just found some Retroculus xinguensis after years of looking for them (which act much like Teleocichla but get 10" instead of 4")

~Jeremy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….